canvas graphics failing on deeply nested panels?

Archives Forums/MaxGUI Bug Reports/canvas graphics failing on deeply nested panels?

skn3(Posted 2011) [#1]
Try this code:

Everything works fine, you should see a rotating white box inside a canvas nested in many panels.

If you change the line
For Local index = 0 Until 5
to
For Local index = 0 Until 6
After nesting a canvas in 6 panels the gadget layout seems to fail. If you set it to even more panels nested (try 10) then it fails even worse!

Last edited 2011

skn3(Posted 2011) [#2]
Does this have anything to do with it?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alejacma/archive/2008/11/20/controls-won-t-get-resized-once-the-nesting-hierarchy-of-windows-exceeds-a-certain-depth-x64.aspx

I am running windows 7 64bit...

Last edited 2011

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think it's a performance issue (MaxGUI is not very speed optimized)
On my latest generation iMac lag starts at 40 panels.

Last edited 2011

skn3(Posted 2011) [#4]
I think it is a mix of both definitely. Sicne posting this I have had to remove the nested panels in my app and the broken behaviour corrects itself.

This is a windows only issue so you prob wont see it on OSX. If it is the same problem as described in the link then its infact an issue at the core of the windows kernal that has to be side stepped.

Crikey!

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#5]
This is a windows only issue so you prob wont see it on OSX. If it is the same problem as described in the link then its infact an issue at the core of the windows kernal that has to be side stepped.

Windows is an ugly beast. Thanks for the heads up, will need to bear this in mind when creating apps.