Canvas redraw event hook freezing window

Archives Forums/MaxGUI Bug Reports/Canvas redraw event hook freezing window

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,
I've just searched most of the MaxGUI forum and couldn't find an answer to my particular problem.
I looked into the maxGUI docs and it mentions that using event hooks is the 'better' way for rendering canvases in the GUI. So I went that route
and everything seemed to be fine until I added a window menu.
a simple File menu with 'open' and 'new' buttons on it, once clicked, freezes the whole app. It seems like the canvas is getting redrawn
when the file menu is rendering over it, but somehow gets stuck in an endless loop?

below is the source that triggers this issue on my windows XP machine:
SuperStrict
Import maxgui.win32maxguiex

Type TEditor

Field _window:TGadget
	Field _canvas:TGadget
	Global _timer:TTimer

Const MENU_NEW:Int = 101
	Const MENU_OPEN:Int = 102
	Const MENU_CLOSE:Int = 103
	Const MENU_EXIT:Int = 104

Method New()
		Local width:Int = 1024
		Local height:Int = 768
		_window = CreateWindow("Editor", 20, 20, width, height)
		_canvas = CreateCanvas(0, 30, width, height, _window)
		_canvas.SetLayout(1, 1, 1, 1)
		_InitGui()
	End Method

Function eventhook:Object(id:Int, data:Object, context:Object)
	   	Local	event:TEvent
	   	Local app:TEditor
	   	event = TEvent(data)
		app = TEditor(context)
		If event.id = EVENT_GADGETPAINT Or event.id = EVENT_TIMERTICK Then
	   		app.OnEvent event
			Return Null
		End If
		return event
   End Function

Method OnEvent(event:TEvent)
   	Select event.id
		Case EVENT_TIMERTICK
			RedrawGadget(_canvas)
		Case EVENT_GADGETPAINT
			If(event.source = _canvas) Then
				DebugLog "test"
				SetGraphics CanvasGraphics(_canvas)
				Cls()
					DrawRect(100, 100, 300, 300)
				Flip()
			End If
   	End Select
   End Method

Function Run()
		Local ed:TEditor = New TEditor
		AddHook EmitEventHook, ed.eventhook, ed
		ed._timer = CreateTimer(60)
		While WaitEvent()
			Select EventID()
				Case EVENT_WINDOWCLOSE
	   				End
			End Select
		Wend	
	End Function

Method _InitGui()
		'main menu
		Local mainMenu:TGadget = WindowMenu(_window)
		Local fileMenu:TGadget = CreateMenu("&File", 1, mainMenu)
		CreateMenu("&Open", MENU_OPEN, fileMenu)
		CreateMenu("&New", MENU_NEW, fileMenu)

UpdateWindowMenu(_window)
	End Method
End Type

TEditor.Run()

am I doing something wrong?

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Are you on Windows XP? It appears to work OK here on my Vista PC?

Also, what happens when you switch to the older MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUI driver instead of MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx?

jsp(Posted 2008) [#3]
Works on my XP here with both drivers!

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#4]
When i switch to MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUI it seems to work better, but still some oddities. If I bring up the 'file menu' with the win32maxgui drive my mouse begins to stutter just like with the ex driver (except to a less extent), and my CPU spikes up to 100%. Yet I'm still able to select the menu items. With the ex driver my CPU spikes to 100% and I never get control back of the app.

I'm on windows XP home with dual monitors if that's any help.

*EDIT*
I just tested this same code on a vista laptop and it worked fine.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#5]
The canvas is frozen here. I am using BRL.Win32MaxGUI. The debug log says that it is drawing, but I can clearly see it isn't.

I've also been having trouble with my canvas listbox that I stopped working on because it kept freezing and made me keep terminating the process.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#6]
SebHoll, any updates on this or work arounds?

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#7]
Errrrmmmmm... No, sorry. I just borrowed my brother's XP PC to test the sample code you provided, and I can't get it to lock up when I open the menu (or by doing anything else neither), which makes bug squishing extremely difficult.

Does it lock if you use an event queue instead?

Also, is there anything specific about your computer set-up? For example, are you using a non-English version of Windows? Are you using Windows Classic window theme or the standard XP ones? Are you using Windows Blinds or some other patched theme manager?

Finally, what happens if you comment out RedrawGadget() from EVENT_TIMERTICK? Does it still lock-up?

Edit: I've moved this to the MaxGUI Bug Reports forum for now, so I can keep a closer eye on it.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#8]
Line 30 is causing the problem. Why are you forcing a redraw with a timer?

There seems to be an OpenGL drawing error where the viewport is not resized with the canvas. In my engine this does not occur because I am doing the rendering myself, so that indicates it is an error in BRL.GLGraphics.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#9]
Isn't line 30...

If event.id = EVENT_GADGETPAINT Or event.id = EVENT_TIMERTICK Then

Not sure why that would be causing an error... Can you post the line you mean, Leadwerks?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#10]
Yes that is what I mean. It causes RedrawGadget(_canvas) to be called, which causes a new render.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#11]
SebHoll,

Does it lock if you use an event queue instead?

when just using the event queue it functions correctly.

Also, is there anything specific about your computer set-up? For example, are you using a non-English version of Windows? Are you using Windows Classic window theme or the standard XP ones? Are you using Windows Blinds or some other patched theme manager?

I am running Microsoft's Zune theme (an official windows theme, not some 3rd party skinning app), I had only reformatted about a month ago so there isn't much software on it. I switched it back to XP theme to test and the results are the same. It's the english version of XP. The only thing I would consider 'non-standard' about my physical setup is I have dual monitors (24-inch and a 19 inch). I disabled one of the monitors and had only one running and that didn't affect anything.

Finally, what happens if you comment out RedrawGadget() from EVENT_TIMERTICK? Does it still lock-up?

using the original eventHook code posted above, if I comment out 'redrawGadget' from EVENT_TIMERTICK then my canvas only draws once (upon load), which is to be expected right? There's no lock up in this situation.