Which BlitzMax for OSX 10.5.8

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Which BlitzMax for OSX 10.5.8

Raz(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi, is anyone able to tell me which version of BlitzMax I should download for a Mac Mini running OSX 10.5.8 (XCode 3.1.4)?

I tried the latest one but it unsurprisingly didn't work for such an old system.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#2]
That said.... I WAS trying to install the intel version on my PowerPC Mac.... I'm just gonna sit under my desk and wait for the shame to subside before I try again.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#3]
Ok, if I download the PPC version it works :D Who'd have thought?

Very happy to be able to compile myself for Mac now! (thanks Skn)

OSX is one bat***t crazy OS though. I think I stumbled on just about everything I tried.

Opening a new tab in safari
Finding the applications menu
Renaming a file
Being stupid enough to think the End key goes to the end of the line.
Being stupid enough to think Ctrl + S saves.
Being stupid enough to not be able to find the # key for ages.
Assuming the maximise button for a window would make it take the whole screen (seems certain apps do, and others dont)
oh and the mouse movement is appalling! So I've got to download an app to override this...
I also love the way it doesn't show the name of a zip file in finder or whatever it's called, but shows the contained folder name...

Feels worse than when I tried Vista.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#4]
finder > preferences > advanced > show all filename extensions

should solve the extension issue for you :)

John G(Posted 2012) [#5]
Raz -- easy on yourself. My upgradable PowerPC iMac G5 sits right next to my HP PC. Should last forever as I rarely turn on the Mac. Today, Apple sells Intel PCs bundled with OSX, plus Windows or Linux optional. Yawn.

Corum(Posted 2012) [#6]
Raz, forget to use Mac Os with a keyboard: it's completely different from Windows and Linux, and sometimes really weirdly complex.
PPC apps will work under 10.5, because Rosetta is installed by default.
Rosetta is a software layer that silently translates PPC binary calls into x86 calls. Roughly explained, I know. :P
Anyway, under 10.6 Rosetta had to be installed manually and starting from 10.7 has been officially kicked out. No more PPC support from now on.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thanks Adam, I'll give it a go :)

When I went back to use the Mac after work yesterday it wasn't as bad, but wow...

Am I right in thinking that Intel based OSX will run in a virtual machine on my Windows 7 machine? Or do Apple still have that stupid "you can only run this on Apple hardware" thing?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Am I right in thinking that Intel based OSX will run in a virtual machine on my Windows 7 machine? Or do Apple still have that stupid "you can only run this on Apple hardware" thing?

The license says that you can only run it on apple hardware.

Technically there are ways of getting it it work under a VM in Windows 7, but you'll violate the Apple EULA in doing so.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#9]
I guess that's basically to force you to spend a fortune on hardware right?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#10]
OSX is one bat***t crazy OS though.
Nope, you got me there! I have a quite a repertoire of swear words but I'm stumped on that one.

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#11]
That license agreement is not law. You are not breaking the law if you run OSX on other hardware or in a VM. Just like running at the pool or talking loudly at the library are not laws.

Gfk, the swear word you are looking for is synonymous with bat-poop.