So how can I rip a game minidisc? (GameCube)

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/So how can I rip a game minidisc? (GameCube)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
So I have a few old gamecube games that I would like to see run in dolphin but the only problem is that my system is broken and I dont know how to rip the minidiscs to my computer to play in dolphin. This seems to be a much more 'legal' approach than downloading them off of the internet. Can anyone tell my how to do this? I am running on an iMac 21.5" with i7, amd radeon and mountain lion.

Also, is there a way to get a controller working?

Last edited 2012

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#2]
Only method I'm aware off is using the GameCube to stream the disc contents over LAN. I did that a couple of times in the past but you obviously need a console and broadband adapter with Phantasy Star Online v2.

The disc protection was rather smart with the GameCube. Took the hackers a long time to crack that system.

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#3]
Your other options is to torrent the game images, assuming you own the original discs then I believe this is legal.

I don't condone piracy but think this is okay.

Winni(Posted 2012) [#4]
assuming you own the original discs then I believe this is legal.

A pure download MIGHT be. However, when you "torrent" software, you are always implicitly UPLOADING the software as well - and that is extraordinarily illegal when you are not the copyright owner.

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#5]
Then try Usenet.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#6]
It's not legal in most places, but honestly in the circumstances I doubt it makes a great deal of difference.

More importantly, anywhere it is illegal, it's probably also illegal to rip the discs in the first place, so... save yourself some work.

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#7]
You could set your torrent program to not upload (this is frowned upon in the torrenting community, but you're doing it to avoid being illegal so do it anyway)