mountain lion + blitz: how to

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/mountain lion + blitz: how to

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#1]
just upgraded to mountain lion - yeah I know I should wait.

all went well

ran blitzmax

got the following error:
can't find sh: gcc:

ok, so how did I get things to work?

1. downloaded and instelled the new xcode 4.4
2. downloaded and installed blitzmax 1.48 (I was using a heavily customised ver 1.44)

3. did a test compile : new app, compile & still the same errors

- It turns out that the compiler (gcc) is not installed by default

4. run Xcode, goto preferences > download and install the command line tools

5. check if gcc is now present by running "utils/terminal.app"
6. type gcc at the prompt. If all is good you should get something like the following:
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2: no input file

if you get something else, you might not have cgg and xcode properly installed?

6. go back to blitz and try to run it and compile - all should work :)

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#2]
Thanks a lot mate....
I was about to dl Mountain Lion today, and I realized Blitz could have some trouble.... (Well, I can continue my projects on my PPC mac and even on Windows but still I'm glad you solved this) ;)

ima747(Posted 2012) [#3]
fwiw this is the same requirement since XCode 4.3 which moved the command line tools into a sub install since XCode no longer uses an installer that puts stuff in a development folder, it's just an app. I haven't had any issues under ML that weren't introduced with Lion (and since worked out).

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
Building breakout
Compiling:breakout.bmx
Linking:breakout
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /Applications/BlitzMax/samples/breakout/breakout.app/Contents/MacOS/breakout
Process complete

jkrankie(Posted 2012) [#5]
I''m getting the linker error too, and modules won't compile as it can't find stdio.h and the rest of the C libraries.

Gcc is installed fine and i can compile and run a C program, but max seems not to want to play.

Cheers
Charlie

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#6]
I know Xcode is trying to shift over to LLVM, which is supposedly faster than GCC, so that would explain the why.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2012) [#7]
@jkrankie, same here, I am still looking for a fix if indeed there is one?

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#8]
There I've fixed it: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=98422#1149804

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
Thank you so much d-bug, that did the trick! I think BRL should update to the 10.7 or 10.8 SDKs instead of falling behind at 10.6. :/

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#10]
We must take note to the fact that Mountain Lion is very young. I could not download it before yesterday.

I trust that BRL will fix this issue ASAP.
Lucky me, I had BlitzMax installed on a seperate volume with all my modules still in tact, meaning all my current BMax projects do compile. ;)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
Mark will eventually fix it. Hopefully sooner than later. I still haven't upgraded mine since the same thing happened last time when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion.

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#12]
This is reported into the bug-report thread where Mark has now officially announced a fix coming very soon.