An OS X <> Android transfer problem

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/An OS X <> Android transfer problem

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm already aware that my Android tablet uses a transfer system that OS X doesn't support (don't ask me why), and thus there's the Android File Transfer App for MacOS X to solve that matter.

So far so good, but there's a problem. That app seems to have cached the contents of my Tablet and refuses to read the contents of my tablet 'real-time'. As a result, I always get an outdated view of my tablet from my Mac. Many folders created by some apps I installed on my tablet recently don't exist according to the file transfer app and even some files I deleted using Android itself (or other file management apps) still pop up on my transfer app screen. Trying to access those files or trying to create a folder that already exists results into the app saying that my tablet is disconnected (riiiiiiight).

I've turned the app upside down, I've tried to look up all the help pages I could find, but nowhere was any information on how to clear up that cache or how to force the app to read all data in full.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
(btw, I'm on Snow Leopard atm when it comes to OS X, and my Android version should be 4.0).

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#2]
Never heard of an android tablet using a FS that was non standard... what tablet is it? All the android devices I've ever used just mount as a disc when connected... one of the best features about it according to most power users...

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#3]
As of Android 3.0 MacOS X is not compatible with the signal Android uses, as Android uses the MTP protocol for all its devices (which is also stated on Google pages itself). As MacOS X does NOT support MPT (At least Snow Leopard doesn't, which is also stated on the Google pages) this app is required when transferring from Android to a Mac.

If you heard positive sounds stating elseway or your own experiences may possibly be outdated.

My device is an Acer btw, I must look up the exact model, but that's pretty irrelevant.... Look at this page from Google for the exact info why Android devices don't mount on a mac http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1120329

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#4]
Can't you just use an microSD card to transfer files?
Not the best solution, I know... but it should be pretty fail-safe.

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#5]
Can't you just use an microSD card to transfer files?
Not the best solution, I know... but it should be pretty fail-safe.

I don't have a reader for that on my iMac, but now that you mention it, I feel tempted to buy one.

ima747(Posted 2012) [#6]
Personally I would go the reader route, they can be picked up for ~$5 and are plenty useful so money well spent.

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#7]
Just checked the prices and I too think that will be best
Thank everyone

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
I am not having any issues with the MTP client for OSX. (android file transfer)
It is not as easy as MSD (it is a shame they removed that, but MTP is apparently "better" (:/) and on linux and newer Windows there is no issue)

Last edited 2012

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#9]
I was wondering if somebody already tried out the support for Mountain Lion on this, but knowing that Apple is a bit headstrong in certain things, I fear for the worst.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#10]
i have just realized, you need to set you device to either always on when on charge or disable the screen lock. the reason being is that the mtp client cannot communicate with åhone when screen is locked. It is for security reasons apparently. however try the " android mtp client for osx" with my advice above and it shouöd work.
oh, you also need mtp to be enabled in settings, but i am sure you knew that :)