Uninstalling an App?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Uninstalling an App?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I was wondering if (to uninstall an app) if I should just delete the app file or is there a better way to uninstall an application like in Windows? I've got a few too many programs on my HardDrive and would like some help.

Thanks!

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#2]
Just move them to the trash, and it's gone. Apps are (at least they should be) self-contained, so everything they need is inside the executable (which is actually just a folder).

The only thing that get's left behind this is way are save games and other stuff alike. But AFAIK, there is no 'uninstall' solution on Mac OS.

Winni(Posted 2012) [#3]
In theory, what SLotman said. In the real world, Mac apps usually also pollute the user's "Documents" and ~/Library folders, sometimes with hidden files (with a leading ".") and hidden directories (in ~/Documents).

Some apps also put stuff in sub folders of the system's /Library and /System folders (without! the leading ~). This has become rather rare and usually only real system utilities want or need to do this.

But no, there is no registry involved and well behaving Mac apps also don't randomly scatter the Unix-equivalent to Windows DLL files around. At least they shouldn't.

There are some commercial housekeeping utilities available for OS X, but I wouldn't waste my money on any of them. Thus far, trashing the app and manually cleaning my user directory usually was good enough.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
Amazing!, No more uninstall problems for me!
Thanks Guys!!!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#5]
I use the free App TrashMe

Corum(Posted 2012) [#6]
http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Be sure to read the "Using Finder to remove Application Bundles and Additional Files" part.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#7]
Also the app

AppCleaner

does a good job for me.