Superdrive Communication error

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Superdrive Communication error

*(Posted 2012) [#1]
Has anyone worked out how to fix the communication error that crops up when you try to write DVD's using the Superdrive under OSX Snow Leopard. I cannot use it at all now as every time I try with numerous different types of media DVD-R, DVD-RW or brand TDK, Memorex etc i get the error saying there was a problem communicating between the computer and the Superdrive.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Did it happen when you upgraded the OS, or is it unrelated?

Can you still reliably read discs? If not, it could be a loose data cable

*(Posted 2012) [#3]
I can read dvd's and cd's fine just writing them is the problem

It all started when I installed a apple os update, after that it no longer writes disks

ima747(Posted 2012) [#4]
if possible make a clean install of OS X (use a flash drive or external hard drive) and see if booting from that resolves it. If it does then it's probably a driver error and you may be able to re-install OS X on top of itself and update from there, or bit the bullet and re-install clean (always better with any OS when you can afford the time and hassle). If it still doesn't work then you might have a firmware issue, or another hardware issue (possibly controller board in the drive) in which case a repair or replacement might be in order (I assume you're not on a mac pro, so you might want to consider an external enclosure or adapter and a cheap burner.

*(Posted 2012) [#5]
Well I have a external DVD-R last time I connected it to the mac I got a power error.