Show "unsupported" resolutions?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Show "unsupported" resolutions?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey all,

I'm trying to use a Mac Mini via VNC from my laptop. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of connecting a different monitor to it to set it up in its new location, which it detected and now won't show me the old set of resolutions (from my own monitor, which isn't near me at the moment) that matched my laptop's screen.

This means that I have the choice between a too-high resolution that doesn't all fit on my screen at once, and a too-low resolution that not only doesn't display everything I want, but requires an annoying window, needs the mouse to be in a very specific location in order to trigger the dock popup, etc.

I have tried:
- simply editing com.apple.boot.plist to include the resolution I want (1440x900)
- cscreen, newscreen
- IOProxyVideoFamily (caused havoc and crashed the computer... not trying that again)

I don't really want to pay for a commercial solution, because this is only for a couple of days and anyway, point of principle, kids.

Does anyone know of any other possible solutions?

It's not actually something I can't work with... but it is incredibly irritating.

EDIT: OK right after posting this I realised I could also alter my laptop's resolution to match that of the Mac - it's not ideal, because it still suffers from the problem of either the workspace or the text being too small, but at least I can use it in a proper fullscreen view. Would still rather have a solution that let me use the right resolution, if anyone knows it, though.

Last edited 2011