OSX Lion Error?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/OSX Lion Error?

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have just updated to Lion and am unable to build modules, I get the following error:

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
sh: gcc-4.2: command not found
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

I have installed latest Xcode 4.2 and 1.44b of Blitzmax, any ideas would be helpful, thank in advance.

FredR(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,
After seeing your post, as I'm having trouble with a submission (Invalid Binary after upload), I ran a rebuild all modules just in case.
Everything compiles fine with
OS X: 10.7.1
BMax : 1.44 (not b)
GCC: 4.2.1
XCode: 4.1

Sorry not very helpful...

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
I seem to remember seeing another post about the same problem a few days ago, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

IIRC the gcc-4.2 executable didn't exist on the system, and they ended up making a symbolic link for gcc-4.2 to point to gcc to resolve it... (or something similar)

FredR: you may need to update your xcode to version 4.2 under Lion?

FredR(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks xlsior, that's what I'm doing.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#5]
Uninstalled Developer tools and reinstalled from appstore, BlitzMAX now reports:

OSX: 10.7.2
BCC: 1.44(b)
Path: /Applications/BlitzMax
GCC Version: 4.2.1
G++ Version 4.2.1
Xcode 4.2

and when I try to build modules I still get sh: gcc-4.2: command not found, should I report this as a bug?

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Can you build modules in an older version of Blitzmax?

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
This is a problem in BMK. search the forums for "gcc-4.2" and you should come across one of the many threads with possible solutions.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#8]
@GFk, No have tried installing older copies of BlitzMAX and have exactly the same error. Which sort of makes sense as I have not had a problem until I upgraded to Lion.

@ima747, I have trawled the forums for a solution using the gcc-4.2 amongst other but always failed to find a solution, do you have a post you think may be useful?

ima747(Posted 2011) [#9]
one possible solution as well as a reference to what I did can be found in

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96088

skn3(Posted 2011) [#10]
Also check that you have actually updated to Xcode 4.2. Look in the applications folder you will see a "install Xcode" app. For whatever reason the appstore download is a tad weird with its download!

ima747(Posted 2011) [#11]
Just a reminder to all, you can download XCode free from a free developer account, you don't need to buy it on the app store (tax reasons make them charge in the first place, same as for OS updates for iPod Touches... very lame) and put up with it's BS giant download installer which wouldn't be allowed by anyone else...

Winni(Posted 2011) [#12]
Apple only charged for the latest version of Xcode for Snow Leopard. Xcode for Lion has been a free download in the App Store from the very beginning (at least in Germany and when you bought Lion from the App Store).

ima747(Posted 2011) [#13]
interesting, I thought they were charging for both, maybe they are but only in the states? (again they only charge because the accountants and lawyers make them... but it's lame) Irregardless since it distributes an installer I find it a PITA, since an incremental update won't work properly on an embedded disc image (which is what it uses). I'd rather just down the disk image for free and not have to jump through the hoops and have it sitting in my applications folder all the time etc...

Pit-le-rouge(Posted 2011) [#14]
Same problem for me !

sh: g++-4.2: command not found

Pit-le-rouge(Posted 2011) [#15]
Well.... is there anybody in there ???

ima747(Posted 2011) [#16]
look up to post #9, 2 possible solutions in the link I posted there.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#17]
I am unable to build module and solution on post 9 failed for me. It worked fine on my Mac Book Air with Lion then I upgraded to XCode 4.2 and it fails. Using BMax 1.44.

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#18]
I think you need to install some legacy support... I don't recall what, I think brucey mentioned it in another post in the bmax forum...

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#19]
Thanks I search and have not had much joy. Sounds like maybe I have to install an older XCode but I'm not sure which one and if it'll corrupt my current XCode (which mustn't happen as I'm trying to ship an iOS game right now).

Isn't this something that should be fixed in BMax so it supports the latest Apple tools?

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#20]
So is there someway I could rename my current Xcode (I need to keep it for Unity/iOS compiling) and install and older Xcode for BMax or would everything screw up horrible? Thx.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#21]
IT IS FIXED!!! YAY! :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#22]
Huh? When was it fixed? Do you have a link or something? Thx.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#23]
"Huh? When was it fixed? Do you have a link or something? Thx."

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#24]
bah, so it was nout but an effing windup?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#25]
Will recommend a ban for Austin if he continues to be a problem on these forums.

Captain Wicker please exercise some constraint.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#26]
Please continue discussion here.