Easiest way to create an application bundle?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Easiest way to create an application bundle?

Captain Darius(Posted 2011) [#1]
I apologize if this had been covered before, I tried searching and could not find an answer.

Anyway, I understand what an Application Bundle is, I'm just not sure of the easiest way to create one for my BlitzMax application.

I could do it manually, but I would guess that XCode would do it for me. Any tutorials for this?

Thanks!

EDIT: Really I guess what I'm after is something that will generate the info.plist for me. Are you guys creating that by hand?

Last edited 2011

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#2]
Max creates a bundle+plist for you, but if you're wanting to add things to the mac app store (for example), where certain things are required in the plist then yes, you'll have to add them yourself. Or pinch one from another app and change the fields accordingly.

To actually view the contents of the app bundle, right click on you app and choose show package contents.

Cheers
Charlie

ima747(Posted 2011) [#3]
I use Brucey's bmx NG to run a post compile script that replaces the info.plist that bmx makes with one of my own, but the end result is the same. BMX makes a (very) basic info.plist when it builds you app, and you have to modify or replace it if you want any other info (and you really should have more in there...). If you want to get on the mac app store you will have to make your info.plist conform to the requirements apple has (not hard, but you can't even submit the app if it's not right...).

BMX doesn't really use XCode, it uses the compiler and other tools (on a command line level btw) that are installed with XCode. A true XCode project will create an info.plist for you, but you still have to edit it to get what you want/need in there to some degree. BMX doesn't have a full OS native project management component so you have to do that stuff by hand through includes in some cases, or post compile in others, such as adding application icons, version info, file support declarations, etc.

Captain Darius(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks, guys!

I didn't realize Max could create the bundle for me. No wonder I couldn't find much on that... :)

I'm sure I can figure it out tonight when I get on my Mac.