New Star Soccer 5 - Mac problem

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/New Star Soccer 5 - Mac problem

siread(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi guys, I'm trying to track down a problem with my new game which I am releasing on August 11th. Basically when you start a new game you create a player and the game connects to my database via PHP to store your player details (using Brucey's LibCurl mod).

For PC and most Mac users this works fine, but I've had a handful of Mac users that get connection errors. My MacBookPro and iMac have no such issues so I'm pulling my hair out trying to track down the problem.

I would be very grateful therefore if you could download the latest beta of my game and see if you are able to start a game. If not I would be even more grateful if you could perhaps help me track down what is going wrong.

Download the game here:
http://download.newstargames.com/NSS5_92.zip

General feedback on the game is also most welcome. :)

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#2]
Ok, so when i try to do anything from the menu, it just tells me i need to download a new version before i can do it. On clicking download, the game exits and takes me to a webpage that has a 500 internal error code.

Also, your twitter link doesn't work, it needs to be http://twitter.com/#!/newstargames - not http://twitter.com/%23!/newstargames.

Cheers
Charlie

Last edited 2011

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#3]
http://newstarsoccer.newstargames.com/ is down, or not working.

Cheers
Charlie

siread(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeah, sorry about the site issues. I was trying to optimize the server and ended up breaking it. :P

It should be ok now, let me know how you get on. :)

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#5]
It all worked fine this time. I beat Chelsea with Norwich, and bought a telephone.

Cheers
Charlie

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#6]
Are those users perhaps using a proxy server? Libcurl needs to be configured to use a proxy server as well in that case.

siread(Posted 2011) [#7]
I like your thinking. Investigating...

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#8]
Are those users perhaps using a proxy server?

Yeah, good thinking, batman ;-)

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#9]
;-) Just sharing my experience!

Last edited 2011

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#10]
Hi all.
it works well for me (no proxy).
BTW, good game, Siread. I really like the smooth zoom effect during game and the player's AI.

Regards

siread(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks mate. That zoom effect was a tough nut to crach - it was jerking all over the place for weeks until I had a eureka moment. :D

ima747(Posted 2011) [#12]
Seems to work here.

Proxy's aren't all that common (though they do cause all kinds of trouble...) however multiple routers and/or poor network configuration is rampant... I would ask your testers with problems if they can outline their networks, and if possible (they have a laptop and move around a bit...) can they try from different networks (perhaps work, school, a friend's, etc.). Look for a commonality above the computer such as they all have an airport (which by default runs as a router) and a cable modem (most of which these days have a router built in), that would be 2 tiers of masqueraded IP and might be a cause for problems from time to time. That kind of thing generally is a larger issue for incoming connections rather than outgoing, but you never know...

I haven't used brucey's libcurl mod, but there might be a lower level dependency that some users might not have installed... what OS revision are they running, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

siread(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thanks ima747 that's good stuff to know. I might admit I'm scared stiff that I launch the game and get a flood of connection issues. Still, only a handful in 1000-odd beta players so it can't be too bad. :)

ima747(Posted 2011) [#14]
If you're only seeing a few in a 1000 then I would feel very safe blaming it on their configurations, however you still obviously want to know why so you can throw it in an FAQ etc. and possibly a resolution (like make sure you are only going through 1 router, etc.). Commonality between their computers and network configurations *should* help narrow it down... maybe they even just have the same brand of router, or they're behind some firewalls, etc. with a sample size around 1k you've got a good shot at seeing some weird stuff... maybe even a proxy or 2 at Htbaa suggested...

siread(Posted 2011) [#15]
Ok, so I sent one guy that was having a problem a new version and he connects fine now. This time I set libcurl up so that it keeps the connection open until the game closes. Initially I was doing curl.Cleanup() after every connection (leaderboards, password checks etc).

I read in the docs that keeping the connection open is the "proper" way to do things but my concern now is that on launch day there will be more connections to the php pages than the server can handle. :S

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#16]
Why do you need to keep the connection open? If you keep connections open for a unlimited time you're going to eat up lots of resources on your server(s). Unless you need to be constantly connected to the server I don't think this is the way to go. Since you seem to be sending data to a PHP script I assume you're just using HTTP, which is stateless anyway.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#17]
And unless you are streaming data, I also don't see why you'd need to keep a connection open?

True, if you need to do a bunch of separate calls in a short space of time it is more efficient to keep the connection open and do all the bits you need to do, but over the course of a gaming session?

siread(Posted 2011) [#18]
Ok, maybe I'll just keep it open during the sign-up screens and revert to closing it regularly after that. It's just strange that it solved connection problems for one of my testers - they would connect ok initially and see the version number and player count on the main screen, but by the time he got to register his name and email he was getting a "Couldn't resolve host name" error in the log.

Last edited 2011