New Mac Mini (mid 2011)

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/New Mac Mini (mid 2011)

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#1]
Lots of oomph for a little box :)

I got the 2.7ghz dual-core i7 version with the AMD 6630M graphics processor. Upgraded to 8gb RAM for £50. Very nice platform for Mac development!
My BMK(NG) sees the i7 as four distinct processing units, so it scales module building to use all of the hardware threads. It makes my mid 2007 Core2Duo Mac Mini look embarrassingly old and saggy.

As for Lion... well... on the command-line, it mostly looks the same as the previous versions.
Interestingly, typing "java" in the terminal, popped up a dialog asking if I wanted to install it.
Had a bit of issue getting the printer working - it is shared via my other Mini, which acts as a wireless print/file/everything server. Apparently, the server is meant to send the drivers directly to the client connecting to it, but I gather that doesn't work from SL-server to L-client. I ended up plugging in the printer to the new box, and installing the HP drivers when the dialog popped up. It worked fine over the network after that.

Should keep me developing for another few years :)

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#2]
I was thinking about replacing my desktop PC with the latest Mac Mini, but was disappointed to see it houses "only" a dual-core processor. The MacBook Pro 15" and 17" are all quad cores. They're more expensive as well, but also portable.

Although I'm sure it beats my almost 4 year old Core2Duo desktop PC :-).

Is having no disc drive no issue for you?

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#3]
The "server" Mac Mini has a quad-core 2ghz i7. So I suppose that would equate to 8 hardware threads... but it's much more expensive than the mid-range Mini, and only has an integrated graphics processor.. It depends what you need, of course!

Is having no disc drive no issue for you?

I already have a Samsung USB DVD re/writer if I need to use disks, but I find I rarely use it - CD/DVD rips occasionally.

I think the biggest benefit will be the 8gb of RAM for Aperture.

And now I might be a bit more encouraged to do some more 64bit specific Monkey stuff...

ima747(Posted 2011) [#4]
A few thoughts on the no disc drive things for those that may be concerned:

1) How often do you really use discs first of all, if it's a lot then you might want to invest in apple's external super drive, or you might just need a system with a built in ODD. your call.

2) You can use any external ODD that plugs in through firewire or USB... get an IDE to USB adapter or enclosure for 10 to 50 bucks depending on what you like, grab an old drive (who doesn't have an old optical drive in a closet...) and you're set.

3) Any mac can share it's drive over the network... if you've got another mac with an ODD you're set.

Hope that helps someone who stumbles across this and is concerned. I'm not with Apple that the ODD is dead yet, but in the real world I touch a disc (out side of a game console) maybe once a month... and then it's usually a movie... going into a game console... your milage may vary. The Air and the Mini are 2 systems where I would be totally fine without a built in ODD... a 17" MBP, an iMac, or definitely a mac pro however I would still need one built in... but (for now) they still have them :0)

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#5]
Number 3, also applies to Windows drives, apparently - well, according to the imagery that popped up on Lion... and mentioned here.

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#6]
very cool, didn't know apple published a windows tool to share discs as well, very good to know.