I am starting to hate Macs

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/I am starting to hate Macs

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
I upgraded to Lion a few days ago and all went well, except Blitzmax didn't work. So I created a new partition and installed Snow Leopard on it. All good, or at least, it was....

Today I switch my Mac on, Install Blitzmax 1.43B under Lion, compile my game and it works great. Restart in Snow Leopard.... nothing! It won't even boot up. Reset, and try again, still nothing.

Back into Lion, works perfectly. WTF?

Tried Disk Utility to repair whatever's wrong and it claims it can't repair it. Its now telling me I need to back up my files, reinstall Snow Leopard, and restore my backed up files. I wouldn't mind but the Snow Leopard install is only three bleedin' days old! :/

Every time I try to dual boot on here, the whole thing goes tits up. I tried dual booting with Windows via Bootcamp and that worked for a couple of days too, then, like this, Snow Leopard would no longer start up.

Is this just what Macs are like? I'm wasting hours and hours fannying about with stuff that, in Windows, just works. Yet try it on a Mac and its like I'm asking for the world.

I'm honestly sick of the bloody rotten useless thing.

:/

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Currently running 'verify permissions' in Disk Utility and its coming up with loads of "Open error 5: input/output error". Googling suggest nothing other than my hard drive is about to be toast.

Brilliant.

Qube(Posted 2011) [#3]
I did say in another thread to install "rEFIt" as that is the best boot manager around for OS X. With that you could partition your drive for Snow Leppard, Lion, Windows and Linux and on boot it asks which partition to boot from.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#4]
All my main tasks are more fiddly in Lion than Tiger through Snow Leopard. This will be my last Mac.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
I did say in another thread to install "rEFIt" as that is the best boot manager around for OS X
Didn't see that, I'll take a look.