Reinstalling Snow Leopard

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Reinstalling Snow Leopard

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello.

Just upgraded Snow Leopard to Lion, and I want to dual boot between the two (mostly, so I can compile Blitzmax stuff but I guess I should also keep Snow Leopard for testing).

I'm fairly clueless about Macs - do I just boot up from my Snow Leopard DVD and take it from there? Will it let me create a partition and do the install without knackering up Lion?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#2]
*EDIT*

Sorry... missed the dual boot bit.

Last edited 2011

Yan(Posted 2011) [#3]
http://tinyurl.com/3u8umua

??

JazzieB(Posted 2011) [#4]
I tried looking for this information as well, using a similar search that came up with the same links. The only one in there that may be of some use is from Apple's site itself. However, this refers to the developer release of Lion and not the one available from the AppStore, which is the only way to upgrade.

So basically, do we know if the AppStore installer of Lion will allow you to install to a new partition and therefore allow a dual boot between Snow Leopard and Lion?

I'm thinking of upgrading to Lion, but judging by other posts on this forum, it looks like a dual boot between Lion and an earlier version of OS X is going to be a necessary, or at least wise, thing to do. In order to make this decision I need to know if this is possible too.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#5]
Interesting. I decided there was no way in hell I'd upgrade my Mac from SL to L, so I've ordered a new Mini...

Useful to keep at least one foot in the past, me thinks...

Qube(Posted 2011) [#6]
I use a custom boot loader called "refit" which is great for multibooting different os's, even on external USB drives. Should be pretty straight forward if you partition your drive into 2 and install away.

Mind you, I did ditch Lion last night and went back to 10.6.8 via time machine as not all the apps I want / need to use are 100% Lion compatible, eg, Parallels has stuffed OpenGL lighting. Can't use VMware fusion as that has never properly worked in 3D OpenGL.

So, it's good old SL for now until everything is sorted for Lion. But before I try it again I'll get a FireWire or hopefully thunderbolt external hard drive to test everything first.