I think i am done with OSX as a "professional" OS

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/I think i am done with OSX as a "professional" OS

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have has a right **** of a day.

Short story:
-Eclipse gets its pants in a knot so i rename my folder as folder.temp and rebuild new one.
-I then make a new project and copy my stuff back in. All good.
-Git client says no changes for commit so i spend a while WTF-ing over this issue.
-I delete my renamed folder just to clear things up (why not, i copied all my stuff into new one.
-reload eclipse at request of boss to make days worth of mods.
-all good.
-still no commit available for git?!?
-wtf people crying out to commit my code, but i cannot.
-go into that *?"#%& "##€#"! horrid finder and try and find my recent code.... it is not there!? I have been working all day from the F-ing trash folder!? who thought THAT was a good idea? OI! NO! when i rename or move a folder i want it -disconnected- from anything that knew it was there.
-to top it, the git client now is trying to find one that i not only deleted, but deleted again and even though there is a folder with same name, it "does not exist".

Not to mention the whole sql and nas fiasco of the other week...

Sod it, ubuntu is now re-installed as is windows. sod OSX, it is unix ruined. It is nice for simple personal/media/photo use (and that flaming XCode that forces me to use it at all...) but for programming, admin and networking it is a joke...

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#2]
why does this forum insist on double posts on edit ?

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't know if git does the same, but I do know that SlikSVN which I use on my PC creates hidden subdirectories in which it stores all its information... So wiping a folder and creating a new one with the same name causes it to lose that info, which means it's not recognized anymore as a synced folder.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#4]
Whew... calmed down a bit now...

yea git does that, but that was not the problem, i know about those and how to fix them, the problem was due to the whole rename-move-i-still-exist thing, which is the craziest thing i can comprehend to be honest. Basically (for worst example) if you delete a project folder, then your art package, ide, svn etc will still know where it has gone... the trash..... and next time you edit you are editing the trashcan, even if you make a new folder and copy the essentials to it.. (this is just one example of many that can mess u right up)

Last edited 2011

H&K(Posted 2011) [#5]
if you delete a project folder, then your art package, ide, svn etc will still know where it has gone... the trash..... and next time you edit you are editing the trashcan, even if you make a new folder and copy the essentials to it.
That is soooo nearly a really good feature.
So if I move a folder, anything that used that folder in the past still knows where it is? Unfortunately that includes when I move it to trash.
Knowing that then obviously you would delete the stuff you don't want rather than copying the stuff you do.

I can see how that would mess me about, but only once.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#6]
o_O

Its like having a filesystem babysitter. I hate it. Basically to disable something but also back it up you have to copy it, hard-delete the original, but then on OSX that seems to break and crash stuff horribly.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
Windows kind of does the same thing when you move shortcuts around -- which is annoying, when you try to copy a shortcut to an app to a different computer on the network, it will try to rewrite the shortcut in the process sop it points to -your- PC instead of the same folder on the PC you copied it to.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
It doesn't. You were in such a strop earlier* that you probably hit the browser back button instead of the edit button. That's when double-posts happen.

* :D

[edit] Oh... I really like MacOS, I just wish BLIde was available for it. MY biggest ballache with the Mac is that I buy a UK specification Mac, in the UK, and what do I get? A chuffing US-layout keyboard! Why, God? WHY?!

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
A chuffing US-layout keyboard! Why, God? WHY?!

Same reason they won't give you a wireless keyboard with numerical keypad: the less choices they offer, the higher their profits will be.

Fits perfectly with the entire apple mantra: form over function. (Anyone who thinks otherwise has never used one of the original iMac hockeypuck mice)

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#10]

Happens if you double-click on the submit button. For some reason it confuses the forum: note that the number of posts in the forum view doesn't include your extra one, even though it's part of the regular numbering on this page.

If you let it happen, the bug will also insert new posts in the middle of threads - even if the thread is locked if I recall correctly (can't remember where I made that observation).

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
Don't get me wrong - the apple wireless keyboard is top-quality in terms of construction. But yeah its a classic case of style over substance. For example, there are NO Home/End keys. The Enter key is smaller than the Shift key. Space is wasted with a completely unnecessary Eject key. And I don't believe there is any need for a Fn, Ctrl, 2 x Alt, AND 2 x Cmd keys. There's also a mysterious black dot on the B key (which at first I assumed to be an LED but I've never seen it on). If I were to get really picky I'd also point out that the " and @ keys are the wrong way round but I've kind of got used to that.

On a more positive note, its great on battery life.

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#12]
Ha! I like the the Apple wireless keyboard, but it took me ages to find out where the # key is on the english layout keyboard as it is replaced by the £ key. I also get caught out by the " and @ keys being the opposite of windows keyboards when switching between machines. The magic mouse is also pretty useful too. I sometimes utilise it when using my graphics tablet to scroll around the canvas quickly whilst drawing.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#13]
Dont moan about keyboards, try to program with a Spanish traditional keyoard, they DONT have a ~ key

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#14]
@H&K: There are AFAIK 3 spanish keyboard configs, and AltGr+4 does write ~ on all of them.
It's funy, I do not feel confortable coding on a Mac too, but I'm using a Mac keyboard on my Windows dev machine, and I love it. But it is a complete keyboard fully wired. Wired keyboards do not rely on batteries, and they are more ecological.
In the other hand, there are other tasks I love to do on my Mac, such as audio mixing and editing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
Yeah i like the mac keyboard layout now i am used to it.

DrDeath(Posted 2011) [#16]
(Scrap that – wrote rubbish).

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#17]
I've never heard of editing in the trash before but I think I can explain it...
The trash is treated as a special place by the OS, as it is in windows. You can't edit in it. you can't even open from it for reading. That is the OS preventing exactly what happened to you D4NM4N... so then how did it happen? The trash is in reality a hidden folder (~/.Trash) and as such can be accessed unix level things (read things that ARN'T mac native... i.e. you're sort of mixing OS levels... such as say a command line git client that was designed exclusively for unix/linux and doesn't know what .Trash is...) directly, thus bypassing all the mac OS level protections on it. Couple that with the file ident system that keeps track of moving files when they are access through their ident rather than their path...

I have never heard of this happening before because you need a perfect storm of errors:
1) Use a file in a program (presumably a GUI git client...) that uses idents rather than paths to target files... (p.s. I use Tower, which is the gold standard on mac for Git GUI, and it does NOT use idents...)
2) Throw away that file but DON'T empty the trash, so the ident is still valid though the file should technically be un reachable
3) Using the ident program, that incidentally doesn't check to see if the ident'd file is still accessable, to trigger a command line function to access the raw path of the file (in this case the Git GUI is calling the Git command line tools with a decoded path from the ident of the file, which is in the trash, and as such has not been edited because what you're using to edit isn't going to go into the trash, it's not allowed.)

Soooo, the Git GUI is ultimately to blame because it's playing by 2 sets of rules (path and ident) and not doing sanity checking on either one before sending the results out to the command line. I can see how one would blame the OS for this, but really it's a bad program, in the same way that say on windows a program that uses a system DLL and then crashes while accessing it. You don't blame the DLL (unless it's corrupted... thanks windows), it's the program's fault for not addressing things properly.

On a personal side note: I freaking hate Eclipse. I have never seen a full scale Java program that wasn't RIDDLED with problems on all operating systems. Making a development environment like that is just madness... I love cross platform but Java is just inherently buggy in different ways on all OS's and therefore makes for a rats nets of issues.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#18]
Yeah probably the case. I still think this file file-app connection thing is rotten and confusing though. How can i make a "whatever.old" folder quickly and easily without the programs miraculously knowing they are there? I suppose copying it and deleting the original is the only way?

PS: It was tower i was using. And you are right it is a great app. Also eclipse is quirky but it is unfortunately the most powerful one i have found.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#19]
Got to love the whole "playing by two sets of rules" kind of problems like this... Although that's not just OS X - Windows also has similar issues.

I've run into both of the issues below myself, which were extremely frustrating to deal with because the OS is actively preventing you from fixing it.

For example, there are scenarios where you can end up with a file or folder named COM1 or LPT2 or CON or something on Windows... Except the OS won't let you actually remove it. right-click -> delete gives an error. attempting to move it gives an error.
Some malware uses that trick to prevent the OS or other programs from removing it. I've also seen it on a compromised IIS webserver, where some people managed to connect by FTP, create a folder by those names, and then uploaded a bunch of pirated stuff into it. Good luck for the webmaster, because even if they spot the folder with malicious things, the OS won't even let you enter the folder to see what's inside, let alone allow you to remove it.

The only way I found to get rid of them is to open a command prompt in that folder, do a DIR /X to see the 'short' name of the file, and manually remove it from there.

Another windows problem is if you end up with a recursive folder copy, and you end up with subfolders thousands of levels deep... Except the OS won't let you delete any path longer than 256 characters or so, and won't remove any folders that aren't empty yet.
Only way I found that can actually fix this properly, was to use robocopy to mirror an empty folder into the recursive one, which removes the 'unremovable' contents as well.
The MS knowledge base 'solution' to this problem only listed a workaround kludge where you use SUBST to assign a new driveletter to the last folder you can access properly, and then continue on this alternate drive. Which only works for so many subfolders until you max that one out, and you can SUBST again, until you max that one out, etc. If you run out of driveletters before you reach the deepest folder their solution was to reformat the drive and start over.... Um.. no thanks.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#20]
I'm stuck with eclipse too, doesn't stop me hating it greatly. Writing java in a java environment written in java is an awful lot of java... and I don't like java to begin with :0)

Interesting... when I move things tower loses them (tested when I made that original post and again just now). As in I setup folder to use with a repository. Sync up. Move or rename the folder and tower freaks out saying it's all gone missing... put the folder back and everything ticks along as if nothing happened...

P.S. the tracking is actually handled by the disc itself... you won't be able to keep a line on a file on a non "Mac OS" formatted disc (HFS+). For some more reading on HFS+ if anyone cares, hit up wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#21]
On linux and windows eclipse works fine. Its on osx i seem to have nightmares :/

ima747(Posted 2011) [#22]
I have trouble with anything Java based on any OS... linux plays the nicest but that's to be expected... but then linux has it's own linuxy issues to sort out... nothing's easy :0)