Where to market finished Mac games?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Where to market finished Mac games?

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,
I've almost finished a Blitzmax game for Mac. Of course, it's not an AAA just a little run'n'jump game, but I think it's funny enough to be market as budget title. The game complaints all Apple's requirements commented in these forums (I'm not Apple developer yet, so I don't know all the requirements).
I know some of yours have your games in Apple's Mac Store and others of yours in shareware portals, and so... Can you say what is the best option to market a little run'n'jump game? Apple mac store? shareware portals? which of them?

Please, excuse my horrible english.
Best regards.

Winni(Posted 2011) [#2]
1. Apple AppStore for Mac
2. Steam

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#3]
It's not as simple as saying estore X is the best place to sell and market your game. If you really want to learn how to successfully bring a game to market and maximise it's success then I recommend reading this article - http://www.pixelprospector.com/indev/2010/08/the-big-list-of-indie-marketing-and-business-tips/

Good luck

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#4]
App store is good if Apple like your stuff. They like Irukandji, and keep featuring it, so it sells pretty well. The Bullet Candy i have there doesn't shift many copies though. I haven't got Mac Bullet Candy on Steam, so i can't speak for them, but if the Windows version is anything to go by it'll be pretty good. Steam's not an open market though, so don't count your chickens!

I've never made much money from web portals, but i suppose my games aren't really a good fit for their typical audiences. Your mileage may vary with these, depending on what sort of game you've made.

Personally, i've had more success on Mac by getting coverage on general news sites, like MacWorld etc. The readership on these sites is pretty huge.

Cheers
Charlie

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks to all for the info, the personal experience and the links. It has been very useful for me. Like I said, the game is almost finished (hope finish it this week). When I put it in some store/portal I will announce it hereabouts.
Thanks to all!!!

Best regards

Last edited 2011

Winni(Posted 2011) [#6]
It's not as simple as saying estore X is the best place to sell and market your game.

Things are never black and white. But when I look at my own user behavior, there are only four places where I buy software: Amazon, the website of the company that wrote the software, Steam and the Mac AppStore.

Wil Shipley, the author of "Delicious Library", gave a rather simple advice for marketing your software in the Apple ecosystem: "Give a free license to everyone at apple.com. And also give a free license to everyone who wants to review your software. Giving away free licenses costs you nothing - it's free marketing."

You can also try to get the folks of macrumors.com to write about your product. They usually don't write about games, though, so maybe you have to help yourself by posting on their games forum. The thing about macrumors.com is that it has a huge audience. I'm sure that it will help you a lot to be known there.