This is driving me nuts!!!!

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/This is driving me nuts!!!!

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
I don't get this,

being into graphics i know -exactly- how far i need to move the mouse to get say... 20 pixels, 100 pixels or move over the whole screen with fairly pinpoint accuracy (and i have a sensitivity bar to adjust it if too fast or slow in Windows/Ubuntu). On OSX this is impossible as the cursor moves further the faster you move it!

Its completely horrid! it is like being a baby and having an adult guide your hand to "help" you move further!

PLEASE someone tell me how to turn it off,There is nothing in the mouse settings. If there is not a way then i will not be able to use OSX for graphics stuff which is kind of ironic considering it is supposed to be great for this, and a massive shame because i have just bought CS4 suite :(

PS: I am talking about mouse acceleration, not sensitivity.

Last edited 2011

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#2]
system preferences->mouse->tracking speed

Cheers
Charlie

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
I found that, but it doesn't do what i want. It still has -acceleration- on it. All that seems to do is make it less sensitive (I want to make it sensitive but without "variable" sensitivity)

Last edited 2011

Basically:

Move the mouse 3 cm left slowly.... Mouse moves a little bit left.
Now move mouse 3 cm left fast.... Mouse is other side of screen!.
^
^---this is -not- what i want. I want it to move the same distance regardless of how fast i move it. This makes drawing and drag-scrolling a nightmare, especially if you are used to working erratically/quickly with a mouse.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
Try http://magicprefs.com/ - gives you loads of extra mouse settings.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks i will give it a try

DrDeath(Posted 2011) [#6]
You may be not aware of it, but Windows and most Linux GUIs also have a mouse acceleration – but a different one, that you simply are more used to.

Having used Macs for years now, I have exactly the opposite problem: I am used to Mac OS's mouse acceleration and control the mouse there with high precision, but have problems under Windows.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
If they can do it then i am sure it is an option somewhere,
but i can assure you mine don't. I have tested it and it is not accelerated.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
When we started using the Mac, we couldnt stand the way the mouse moved... after googling around we found USB Overdrive:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

Helps a lot :)

ima747(Posted 2011) [#9]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/149228

This is for older windows variants but I haven't seen an appreciable difference in the mouse behavior from 95 to 7 so I would assume atleast some variant is still in place.

DrDeath(Posted 2011) [#10]
If they can do it then i am sure it is an option somewhere,
but i can assure you mine don't. I have tested it and it is not accelerated.

Then you probably disabled it in the past but just can't remember that. It's activated by default.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#11]
Actually it could be because i never install any mouse shovelware i always override the driver manually with "standard mouse" which gives me up,down,left,right, a wheel and 3 buttons (3 being wheel click).

Anything else (like back buttons etc..) just annoy me.