Why can i not tether?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Why can i not tether?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
I plugged in my phone USB (HTC) on windows and Ubuntu i get a new network connection available immediately. On osx it says a new network connection is available. I only have the options of dialup or gprs/GSM/3g which i choose.
Nothing happens. When i click connect it says connection timed out.
There is a box for APN and Cid but i have no idea what they are for. Normally i just plug it in and it just works.

I could use wifi hotspot mode on the phone, but would rather use the cable.

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hmmm never tried to activate a USB tether with android since my android device is just for testing and doesn't have cell service, though from googling I suspect wifi is going to be the easier way to go. Looks like you will need a couple of apps and possibly the android SDK to create a clean USB tether. Depending on your device however it could be much simpler. Check the network settings panel under System Preferences, you may be able to change the vendor and model of the virtual modem to something that works, or possibly find a config online you can install that will get it going, alternatively you might just need to find your service provider's APN (it's like a cellular network domain type thing... kinda...) and the rest might be automatic.

I think the mac is trying to actually use the device as a cell modem, where as windows and ubuntu are probably receiving a network connection from the phone which is acting almost as a router... so either you need to get the mac to use that network path (via programs, hit up google) OR get the appropriate cell modem settings to make it work as a cell modem...

All just theory since I don't have cell service on android to test with...