7z... is it so much to ask for?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/7z... is it so much to ask for?

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#1]
I used to have a 7za Mac build, but for some reason I get it to work any more :(
I've been looking for a new build, but no matter where I google, it's nowhere to be found.

I could find only a few download sites that offer 7z for mac, but on ALL sites (no exceptions) clicking that link results either to an error or being linked to another site that is not in any single way related to 7z (and then I don't mean those fake DL links that are actually banners. I know how to recognize those).

Problem is, I never liked the MacOS built in version of ZIP, I do have RAR, but when I have to share files with my people at work they all start saying I should use difficult language when I even mention RAR (and when you know them, you'll give up soon trying to convince them to get it). Creating an Self Extractor on Mac when you got to share the files with people on Windows, ain't gonna work either, so that's why I wanted get my hands on 7z again, but without success.

Oh yeah, even the download link for the Mac version on the official 7z site is dead.

Of course, if you know of another command line tool that can create zip files. I'm not really interested in GUI based (unless you know a pretty detailed version), and especially not in tools that start zipping by just dragging a folder into it (and if all they can do when it comes to extracting, is extracting the entire archive I'm even LESS interested).

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#2]
EZ 7Z, keka, and 7zX all have working links off the official 7-Zip site. Also, the command line version of zip and gzip are both present in OS X. Or you could go into Finder, highlight the files you want to zip, right click, and choose "Compress x items".

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#3]
Damn... I never knew there as a command line version of zip (and unzip) in MacOS X...
Thanks a lot for that information.

When it comes to EZ 7Z and 7zX.... Why are ALL MacOS X archiving apps based on that stupid drag 'n drop system?

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#4]
No idea. I hate EZ 7Z and haven't tried the other one. I just use the compress thing in Finder or the command line zip.

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, drag-'n-drop is cool for quick archiving, but I often need my archives to be maintained, updated and to check what's all in there (to make sure all files are present) and then those drag-'n-drop archives are a true pain, and no expanded GUI based archiver seems to exist for MacOS X. Well I always preferred command-line anyway, but still a GOOD gui one would definately something Mac needs.

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#6]
doesn't stuffit do this?

Cheers
Charlie

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
The "Compress" action (right or command click a file/folder, or select one in a finder window and select compress from the "Gear" button at the top of the window if you have it enabled) will create a ZIP... ZIP is basically THE standard these days since windows and mac can both create and decompress them natively without any additional tools, as can many Linux and Unix distros, and there's tools for everything that doesn't do it on it's own...

Last edited 2011