Mac and the App Store

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Mac and the App Store

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#1]
So... I'm about to take the plunge and purchase a Mac, to convert the game I'm working on also to it.

I never had a Mac, so I'm a completely newbie regarding it (last time I used a Mac was still a G4, no Intel processors) - but I do know my way on 'coding' for several platforms.

What I ask is this: has anyway successfully published on this new mac app store? What is needed (beside an Intel Mac with latest OS) to do it? Any tutorials online? Any site I should visit?

Any link where I can find about payments (like is Brazil supported? How payments are made?) or anything...? I got completely lost on Apple site, appears that every link I click shows a "Learn more..." link, which take to another page, and another, and another...

Really, any help deeply appreciated :)

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yes, my game Senet, which is a BlitzMax game, is on the Mac App Store.

Besides the Intel Mac w/the latest xcode, you need to join Apple's development program for $99. After that, just make sure your app follows their guidelines, use their manual packaging instructions, and you should be good to go.

The developer site is developer.apple.com, by the way.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks for the info - at least now I know it can be done.

Unfortunately, I already visited that page - but I can't find any info about how payments (to the developers) are made, a list of supported countries or anything at all :(

I just refuse to give apple $99 to later discover they can't send me any money due to some crazy reason :P~

The only thing mentioning something about that (and it's not official) I could find was this, and it's not encouraging at all :(

Last edited 2011

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#4]
I know they can do direct deposit into bank accounts, but I'm not sure which countries they support. There's a contact link on the dev site - http://developer.apple.com/contact/ - that you could try. I found them to be pretty responsive when I had questions about signing up.

By the way, what part of Brazil are you in? I lived in São Paulo for half of 2001. I lived a short walk from Parque do Ibirapuera.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#5]
I'll try talking to them, thanks for the link!

I'm in Rio de Janeiro, in Copacabana, three blocks from the beach =)

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hi all,
Sorry if this post is a little offtopic, but... where can I get the Apple Mac Store guidelines in order to publish games in it. I'm not yet registered as developer and I'd like know the steps to follow or the game limitations, before pay the license.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Corum(Posted 2011) [#7]
[OT]
One more "brazilian" nostalgic worker here. :)
Sadly, I went there several times just for a couple of deliveries for TIM Brazil.
I was hosted into a gorgeous Leblon Hotel, with all expenses covered by my employer, and worked between San Cristóbal, Barra da Tijuca and Avenida do Chile, 'perto da catedral'. :)
I miss Rio so much... its wonderful sunsets from Leblon and Copacabana, 'a comida a kilo', the corners of 'sucos naturais'.
Well, I miss O Porcão tambén. :P

Muita saudade... :)
I miss those times even more, if I remember that actually I'm unemployed. :-D

Greetings from Italy, and sorry for this disgusting OT. ^_^
[/OT]

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hey, not a problem... I guess you love the city as much as I do :)

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#9]
So... I just got my Mac (yay!), installed bmax, xcode and everything seems to be working okay (I even got to compile the game I'm working on!).

After exploring a while the system, I went to see the appstore, but to my surprise I can't find a "games" category in there?

Wow... it's even worst: I went to Senet page, then clicked on "view on mac appstore", the store opens and I get an "your request could not be completed" message :(

Apparently, here in Brazil, Apple doesn't sell games, not in the Mac app store, and not even on the iPhone app store... I can't stress how disappointed I am right now :(

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#10]
I think it's more likely that their site was having issues when you tried earlier. They definitely sell in Brazil.

To get to the Games category, you open the app store application, go to Categories, and it's the second one down on the right.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#11]
They sell apps in Brazil, but not games.

As far as I could gather, it's because the brazilian 'age classification' for games differs from the one used on App Store - so Apple chose to not sell games, instead of doing some adaptation to comply to brazilian laws :(

In the other hand, I have to say BlitzMax is AMAZING. I already have my game "Detetive Carioca" runnning under MacOS - just need now some tool to make an installer/icon for the game, and it's ready to go :)

Last edited 2011