Compile on the mac for mac ?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Compile on the mac for mac ?

Vampyre(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello all,

I'm truly sorry coming with such a dumb question, as I can't find anyone having the problem... Could you guys explain me how you compile your programs for the mac on a mac ?

If you would answer "Easy, just press the Build button", well, that's what I'm doing... When I hit Build and Run, the program is compiled and works on my screen, but I need to press again that button to make it work again.

If I just press Build, well, it builds. But where is the compiled program ?

Just hasn't been able to find it out yet. Any suggestion, or doc related ?

Thanks

degac(Posted 2010) [#2]

If I just press Build, well, it builds. But where is the compiled program ?

In the same folder of the source file.

Vampyre(Posted 2010) [#3]
Ok... I just tried that, and here is the result. In the folder of the source file, I have myprogram.bmx, and my graphics folder. That's normal, that's my hierarchy. I can also find myprogram.bmx.bak, which should be a backup of the version -1, and myprogram.debug

Oh... I thought it was a debugging of some sort, but if I double click on it, it's running the program.

Apologies about this one, really thought the .debug was just a debugging file, or report... Not the program compiled... Anyway, it works... Thanks !

degac(Posted 2010) [#4]
Your welcome.

The 'good' (well, it depends...) thing about MS/Dos/Windows world is the .exe extension: everyone knows that it is a program (or .txt, .doc and so on...)
Under Linux and Mac there is no a such 'convention'!

Winni(Posted 2010) [#5]
Under Linux and Mac there is no a such 'convention'!

On the Mac, it's usually an .app bundle. But in its default settings, Finder, just like Windows Explorer, does not show any extensions.

However, in Unix systems, executable files have an "executable" attribute. If this attribute is not set, a file cannot be executed.