Mac App Store - BlitzMax?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Mac App Store - BlitzMax?

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#1]
It looks like the new Mac App Store requires signed code to release your apps there. Is there some way to make BlitzMax sign the code with your developer cert like XCode does? Or to feed BlitzMax into XCode to let XCode sign it?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
You might want to read the details on the Mac Developer Program. The membership price dropped a while back and is quite affordable. It has been around for ages and is what Apple will be using for OS X programs that are accepted into the App Store. Any new info and requirements will be posted there along with modifications to the TOS.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#3]
Yes, I am part of that and know what the requirements are. I'm asking if there's a way to sign BlitzMax code, since one of the requirements is that the code is signed.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
I am sure Mark will make BlitzMax work with the new requirements. Given that Apple just announced the news about the App Store coming to the Mac, give Mark a while to play catch up. Getting BMX2 may be his top priority right now.

If you are not on the BRL dev team, you might want to request it and ask the question in the dev forums. Sometimes there could be things that Mark will discuss in private but won't discuss in public until he has had a chance to fully explore the situation.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#5]
I'm not asking anyone to change anything. I'm asking if there's currently a way to sign the code.

Apple has that "codesign" command line tool, but when I run it against a Blitzmax-generated application package, it gives me an error - Unknown format in import.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'm not asking anyone to change anything. I'm asking if there's currently a way to sign the code.
You might want to ask on the dev forums. Since Apple literally just made the announcement, this may not be something that Mark is willing to answer in public until he has had a chance to look into it.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#7]
I don't have access to the dev forums and don't know how to request access or who to ask. I was hoping that someone else on the forum might have tried to sign code for whatever reason. Regardless of whether it's related to today's announcement, code signing is something that can be useful.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#8]
For the dev team, email support@... and ask if you can join the dev forum

I was hoping that someone else on the forum might have tried to sign code for whatever reason.
You might actually be the resident expert on this right now :)

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#9]
If it's anything like the iPhone you will need to add your registerred bundle identifier to your apps plist as well as a few other things. A dummy nib file may be in order also for a BlitzMax .app to match that output by a default xcode project.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#10]
Yeah, I modified the bundle id and such. Not sure about the nib file though.

I did find that other people are having the same problem I am, even on native XCode apps, so it's either something we're all doing wrong, or there's a problem with the documentation (or tools, I suppose).

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#11]
Be nice to use minib3d there... waving the bmx flag

Karja(Posted 2010) [#12]
Good thing I didn't cough up that $100 just now, as I was planning. Even if this might not appear to be an urgent issue, it's pretty irritating not to be able to be part of the App Store once it opens. A missed opportunity for some added exposure.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#13]
Don't assume you can't. As I mentioned above, even folks using xcode are having signing issues. It's not BlitzMax-specific. There may not even be any changes required, since the instructions appear to enable you to sign an already compiled binary.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#14]
even folks using xcode are having signing issues
that pretty much sums up iphone development!

it gets easier once you're used to it.

But I think the wise choice might just be to use blitz3d dll with C++ and skip blitzmax altegether for pc, and use minib3d for mac/C++ if its not possible to code sign.

Watching this topic with great interest.

Last edited 2010

Karja(Posted 2010) [#15]
Well, maybe I should give it a try later - who knows, it just might work! The problem is that I'm doing my Mac stuff via emulator, so I prefer simple easy-to-follow solutions for how to package stuff there. It's not the fastest environment.

Maybe I'll just watch this topic for a while, instead. :)

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#16]
I actually went ahead and canceled my Mac Developer Program membership, so I won't have any further updates on this topic. I decided I don't have time to goof around with things like code signing problems when even the xcode people are having problems. I may re-up after the dust settles, but for now the time and membership fee would be wasted.

John G(Posted 2010) [#17]
What do people think about Apple's new Mac App Store? Good? Bad? or Ugly?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#18]
I think it will be good for the following reasons:

1. EUs will increasingly avoid downloading indie Mac software that is not sold via the new App Store.
2. Apple's standards for software sold via the new App Store will be like it is for the iPhone. Developers will have to release something halfway decent and relatively bug-free.
3. This will increase the overall quality of software being targeted to Mac users by getting rid of the garbage and forcing developers to adhere to standards that they should have been adhering to all along.
4. It provides a way for indie developers to be more competitive with the major commercial programs that are sold for Macs.

For developers who have always been releasing quality products, they should have no problem with changes and should welcome the increased exposure they will be getting by selling through the new App Store.

Last edited 2010

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#19]
Personally, I think it's going to be good short-term and bad long-term.

Short-term there's money to be made. The novelty of it will increase exposure and therefore sales.

Long-term, my fear is that they're going to send OS X down the path of iOS to where eventually only "approved" software will run on it (hacks/jailbreaking aside). The app store is the first step in that direction. When that happens, I'll be changing my primary platform back to Windows or over to whatever Google comes out with.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#20]
What do people think about Apple's new Mac App Store? Good? Bad? or Ugly?

Let's wait with a verdict until Mac OS X 10.8 (the version -after- Lion) is released and whether the Mac App Store will become the ONLY option to distribute Mac applications on Lion's successor... It cannot say that it would surprise me.

Even though Steve Jobs lied a couple of months ago when he was asked whether there would be an App Store for the Mac (he flatly said "no"), after the success of the AppStore for iPhone/iPod/iPad it was always quite clear that they sooner or later would also implement the same concept for the Mac (as long as the Mac is still around).

Now he says that the forthcoming Mac AppStore for Snow Leopard is "optional", but of course "the best way" to buy, download and install software for OS X. With Lion -- the OS X version that for the first time will incorporate iOS features -- the Mac AppStore will become a part of the default OS installation, but it will still be "optional" to use. But does anybody really believe that the Mac will stay an "open" platform? In 10.8, which will be even more like iOS, thanks to "its huge success" and because "Apple is all about the best user experience", I bet that it will be the only sanctioned way to deploy third party software on OS X.

Prepare for jailbreaking your Macs in the year 2013. And prepare for them to disappear completely in "the cloud" by 2015, when even the United States will have real broadband speeds everywhere, making (consumer) desktop computers entirely obsolete.

Last edited 2010

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#21]
thats no big deal. just go outside for a walk or something real.

John G(Posted 2010) [#22]
I tend to agree that Apple's past behavior should make the Mac completely closed in a few years. If you're not onboard, then good luck swimming.

What I've questioned is whether the App Store for iPhone/iPod/iPad has been the "huge success" that Apple claims. Good for Apple certainly -- revenue stream plus marketing to sell more iDevices. Good for customers, I suppose, everything you buy is on credit -- no cash required. But good for developers who seek compensation for there efforts?

In June, Apple boasted that a billion dollars (US) had been paid to developers. At the time there were about 200K apps. That's $5K per app. Now it was pointed out that some of those apps were meant to be free (perhaps 30%). But some apps had been on the market for 3 years by then! To pursue Apple's App market, I'll have to move to a much cheaper country.

I'll hold off purchasing that shiny new iMac for a few more days.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#23]
Average payout per app says very little -- it's the median[i] that would be interesting the know (half of the apps make more than the median amount, the other half make less)

For example, some applications are massive run-away successes like 'cut the rope'. That one sold over a million copies in its first 10 days in the store.
Now take another 999 developers that didn't sell anything [i]at all
, and they could still claim that their developers made "an average of $1000 in 10 days!"

As they say: there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

John G(Posted 2010) [#24]
@ xlsior -- Yes, you're right. From that $1B we could also assume that the top 1000 apps earned $1M each and the other 199,000 apps earned nothing. I'm a little grumpy with Apple at the moment for constantly changing the height of the hurdles Mac/iOS developers need to jump over. Apple just hung out the unwelcome sign for both Java and Rosetta apps.

I think the key to "profiting" from all these emerging gadget markets is to get there within 3 months of launch. This months launch -- Windows Phone 7. Early next year may see various non-Apple tablets.
Cheers.

TMK(Posted 2010) [#25]
I am also interested in getting BlitzMax apps on the Mac App Store, hopefully it's just a simple codesign/plist etc. changes (when it will actually work for Xcode projects too), or possibly adding support for it in BlitzMax itself...

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#26]
I had wondered about this too. Is it even legal to develop and sell your Mac games on your own? (Commercially)

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#27]
1. There is a tutorial for signing and submitting BlitzMax apps to Mac app store here.

2. Yes, of course it is legal, why would you even think that it wasn't, do you even own a Mac?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#28]
it is legal

Yay! :)
why would you even think that it wasn't,

I had thought Apple would have some policy about developing applications using third party dev tools. Good to know that they dont. I hope Mountain Lion doesn't have any "policy" against third party developers. :(
do you even own a Mac?

VM (OSX Panther) and a very very old Apple iMac G2 PPC. :D btw thanks for the link skidracer. :D

ima747(Posted 2012) [#29]
They can't make it illegal to develop for mac however you like, they can only restrict what they control, and they don't control the internet. They DO control the app store, so concievably they could mandate that apps be developed for mac using Xcode (like they require for iOS because again, they control the store there as well). However unlike iOS, the platform allows code execution without requiring signed distribution. They could in theory change this as well at some point but, like iOS, this doesn't make it illegal, only very difficult to run unsigned code. On iOS jailbreaking is legal, and more importantly jail break requiring apps are TOTALLY legal... it's just beyond the average user to install them. Even if jailbreaking were illegal the apps themselves would be legal there would just be no legal means of installing them... for reference look up XBMC. It started as a media center app for moded xbox consoles. You couldn't install it without a mod (illegal in some places, legal in others) and more crucially the binaries required an xbox development license to compile.... since MS would never give out such a license to freeware developers it was illegal to distribute binaries, BUT the source was totally legal (just un-usable without illegal things like a stolen toolkit...). The project based on that source has since morphed into a great cross platform media center and has dropped xbox as an officially supported platform from it's source entirely at this point...

Source is the property of the person that writes it (or the organization/person that buys it)
Binaries require source and tools to create, both have to be legal for the binaries to be legal (e.g. XBMC for xbox = illegal binaries, jailbreak iOS apps = legal as the source and the toolkits are both publicly available)
Using binaries requires access to the system that may require circumventing security measures (jailbreaking on iOS, modding on a console, etc.) that may or may not be legal depending on any number of factors (desktop OS's are un-restricted typically, though may have security layers in place that may or may not restrict the execution of code, on all desktop and known desktop platforms in the future there are ways to circumvent the security out of the box to run any code without modifying the system)

Legality != end user accessible. they are distinct concepts. Further, no desktop OS currently, or known plans in the future attempts to permanently restrict code execution in such a way that requires system modification to circumvent (unlike so called "closed" platforms, such as iOS).