External Debugger

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/External Debugger

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am working on a stand alone debugger for Mac users who prefer to program in different text editors, such as TextWrangler or TextMate.

I was just wondering if anyone is interested in something like this, or is it just me?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
I've written an XDebug interface for BlitzMax - It's a "standard" debugging protocol that is used by PHP.
It allows you to debug BlitzMax in environments such as Eclipse.

I also have an appstub replacement which allows for remote-debugging of BlitzMax apps.

I was just wondering if anyone is interested in something like this, or is it just me?

You may find it is just you. Most people aren't interested in more useful tools like these :-)

In fact you'll find people here still using Print and DebugLog rather than the debugger...

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#3]
Ah well, seemed like a good idea at the time. :-)

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#4]
As I'd almost finished it, I thought I would carry on and get it done.
I have now finished the first version of my Max Debugger.
This is a stand alone application that can debug BlitzMax applications.
It will also include a script for TextWrangler (easily modified for other text editors) so it can be invoked directly from within the text editor.

Here's a screen shot for you:

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#5]
I would have absolutely loved this when i was mostly developing on my Mac, i even wrote Bullet candy in TextWrangler! I'm sure there are a few mac only coders who'd find this most useful :)

Cheers
Charlie

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
One issue with the Mac is the inability to full-screen debug.

That's when remote-debugging comes in handy - as long as you have a second computer (or two screens!) :-)

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#7]
I would have absolutely loved this when i was mostly developing on my Mac, i even wrote Bullet candy in TextWrangler! I'm sure there are a few mac only coders who'd find this most useful :)

Once I have the documentation finished, I'll be releasing it.

I've written an XDebug interface for BlitzMax - It's a "standard" debugging protocol that is used by PHP.
It allows you to debug BlitzMax in environments such as Eclipse.

I also have an appstub replacement which allows for remote-debugging of BlitzMax apps.

One of things I wanted with this is to work with BlitzMax 'out of the box' rarher than replacing any of the official modules.

You may find it is just you. Most people aren't interested in more useful tools like these :-)

In fact you'll find people here still using Print and DebugLog rather than the debugger...

I use Print and DebugLog a lot of the time, and this debugger handles them with the log view at the bottom of the window.