Gamepads and joysticks

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Gamepads and joysticks

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#1]
What are the more popular gamepads and joysticks used on Mac OS X? It's hard to find any of this information out. It doesn't seem like there are any really popular devices. Is the X360 controller used much? If so which is the most popular driver for it? I want to start Mac testing soon and need to know what setups to test.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#2]
I don't know of any gamepads or joysticks for the Mac. The Mac never was a successful platform for games, and I've never seen gaming hardware in any Gravis or other Apple-selling shop.

But since it's 2010, the obvious answer would probably be a game remote controlled by an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad over the wireless interface... (Yes, I am serious about this.)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#3]
My PS3 controllers work wirelessly with my Mac Mini, and with ControllerMate you can configure all the button actions - both analog sticks work properly too.

I presume my Thrustmaster stuff would also work through USB.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#4]
Blitzmax will recognize most joysticks, but the variety of drivers means that occasionally the axis for analog sticks are not what you'd expect. The default setup in my games is for a genaric HID compatible device, and then allow users to reconfigure controls to whatever they like in the menus.

Cheers
Charlie