Good C64 emulator for Snow Leopard?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Good C64 emulator for Snow Leopard?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#1]
So far I have tried both virtual C64 and VICE, and they both crash immediately on startup. Is anyone using a commodore emulator on Snow Leopard, and which one?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
FRODO runs fine here.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#3]
Well this one runs for me at least and it looks pretty good, however I can't seem to assign the keyboard to act as a joystick, even with the optional extender plugin.

Have you had any success with assigning joykeys?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
Ah. I see your problem.

I did get my PS3 controller working with it though (via bluetooth), which was kind of cool.

taumel(Posted 2010) [#5]
Power64 is the only C64 emulator on OSX which really works. It's not free but very good. http://www.infinite-loop.at/Power64/

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#6]
Hmm... VICE runs perfectly fine for me on Snow Leopard – and supports the use of the keyboard as joystick. I used Power64 a long time, but unfortunately, it's apparently no longer supported and didn't make the jump to Intel.

taumel(Posted 2010) [#7]
Quite some games, like for instance Dragon Wars only work properly on Power64 and the overall quality is better as well but in my opinion the price for a lot of people is too high.

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#8]
Power64 is worth the money (IMO), but I don't know about 10.6 compatibility as I am on Leopard.