to .dmg or to .zip

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/to .dmg or to .zip

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#1]
Which is best or most common, I noticed when I added my game to apple.com they wanted it .zip yet I thought .dmg was the standard.. now I am confused.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
I think .dmg was in favor for a while until people realized that most users just drag stuff out of the disk image and onto the dock. this means that when they click the dock icon the disk image has to mount before the app can run.

stick with zip.

Cheers
Charlie

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Interesting. I'd tend towards dmg. You can customize a dmg with an alias (shortcut) to the Applications folder, which the user can drag the app icon onto.
Zips are just a pain, in that you have to extract them, and then either leave the file where it extracted, or find somewhere to put it.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#4]
bah I hate Mac's =S whats wronge with a good old .exe installer.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#5]
dmg

They are sexy.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#6]
hum, well I decided to go with .zip in 10.5 when you download a zip it automaticaly is unzipped and added to the download folder. .zip is also much smaller then a .dmg

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
.zip is also much smaller then a .dmg

Should be about the same, if you are using a compressed .dmg

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#8]
When I was making a .dmg I had the choice between compressed or read/write (not both), and I needed a read/write DMG cus the game writes some files to the local folder.

Oh BTW Brucey your cross-platform compile thing worked a treat, I complied a universal binary on my hackintosh and it run on that old 350mhz imac I picked up. Good stuff.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
cus the game writes some files to the local folder.

Naughty!

You should stick those in the proper places... which I assume you already know :-)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2009) [#10]
but its just a harmless config file =P

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
There are cozy, system-friendly places for those :-)