VMWare Fusion & OSX 10.5.7

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/VMWare Fusion & OSX 10.5.7

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#1]
There is a Shader bug in OS X 10.5.7 for ATI graphics cards. If you are using VMWare Fusion, don't upgrade to 2.0.5 because they will disable your 3D Acceleration and you will not be able to do anything 3D in it. (The bug will still be present but you can work with instability.) All of my 3D game dev tools including the new 2D particle effects editor I bought are crippled and unable to function within Windows because of this.

Best thing todo is not upgrade to 10.5.7 unless you have to. 10.5.8 is suppose to fix this problem.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just revert back to 2.04. It's painless.

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#3]
That doesn't get rid of the bug in 10.5.7. It only prevents the message.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ok, that's bad then. Did you made a backup before upgrading?

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#5]
Not of my OSX system. I have some VM backups but they are old and I forgot to take one before I installed 2.05. By that time I was already at 10.5.7 anyway so it wouldn't have done me any good. I guess I got a little lazy because I hadn't had trouble before now.

From what I understand, there are suppose to be three options:

Reinstall OSX to 10.5.6 and use Time Machine to bring back your data files.

Edit the VM configuration and set a line to not disable the 3D but that still leaves you open to the bug which can corrupt your VM, if it crashes Fusion hard enough.

The last option is to wait until Snow Leopard (Sept) or the 10.5.8 patch for Leopard (who knows when) to be released.

I suppose I could try Boot Camp as well. I really don't want to risk a reinstall. Or I could temporarily resurrect my old dead PC. :)