Died Mac

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Died Mac

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've an old PPC Mac (which I'm about to replace. The order was already done, but Apple has a bit of trouble in delivering it) that does totally crazy. After I boot it it crashes after 5 minutes if not shorter, or if it boots at all.

The most remarkable thing is that it shows black and red dots all over the screen. In the startupscreen, login screen and the desktop.

I really wonder what causes it. Of course, computer that refuse to work can have thousands of causes, but the dots interest me. Has anyone ever witnessed semilar symptoms? And if so any clue what could cause it.

Since virusses are a rarety on PPC macs I don't think it'll be that.

Anyway, my dealer will try to backup the User folder of the old Mac and then I'll try if reformatting will work. But can you imagine this puzzles me?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
It could be that you either have bad video memory on your display card, or that your video adapter is overheating (which can also cause the crash a few minutes later)

I'd make sure that the fan on the video card (if it has one) is spinning properly -- it may be gunked up with dust, or have a bad bearing.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#3]
My dealer and I were thinking in the same direction.
BTW. I'm now running MacOS X in safe boot, and that works perfectly.

Retro(Posted 2009) [#4]
I had a similar problem with the non-volatile parameter RAM getting clobbered when it crashed, which causes the display to go into the wrong mode on reboot. You can reset it by pressing [Apple]-Alt-P-R while it's rebooting.

Another thing you could do is run the full diagnostics suite.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#5]
Apple-Alt-P-R has been tried and didn't solve a thing.
The diagnostic is an idea, but where to find it? Just under "About this Mac?"