English Menu

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/English Menu

Ralf61(Posted 2008) [#1]
I want to create a little application for the german market on the Mac. So far everything works (except ClearTreeView -> see new Thread in Bugs). Now I have the problem, that if I run my program the menu entries that are shown near the 'apple' are in english language. They are under the program name ans include the entries

Hide
Hide Others
Show All
Quit application

Any Chance to translate them into german?

Thanks in forward!

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#2]
Are those actually application-level, or does the OS automatically insert them in whatever the default OS language is set to?

Ralf61(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'm not sure what you mean: If I start my Application I see in the menubar of the Mac between the apple and my Menü, which I generate in my program with entries like File Open, File Save and so on (of course in german) another Menütopic which has the name of my Application. All entries in this menu are in english language. I don't see a possibility to change them within my program.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#4]
But what is the language of MacOS itself that you are running in?

do you have it set to English, or German?

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#5]
You tried something like this?:

file:TGadget = CreateMenu ("Datei", 0, WindowMenu (window))
exit:TGadget = CreateMenu ("Exit", 1, file)

Ralf61(Posted 2008) [#6]
Marc: Its a german MacOS the program is running on. But as mentioned above, the menu is in english.

Manromen: I have such code in my program. The problem is, that the menu that appears, does not come from my code but is something that adds BlitzMax or MacOS to my program.

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#7]
You have a code snipped for us ?

I can't recreate the problem.

d-bug(Posted 2008) [#8]
Let me try to explain his request:

There is a bunch of menues that Cocoa is creating by default, when you start an application, like the Window-Menu, the Help-Menu or the Application-Menu. Every entry in this Menu is in english, when you create a MaxGUI-Application on a german OS-X.

Also you can't add items to that menues, which would be great for setting the Preferences Item, where it would be on 99% of OS-X Apps.