BMax IDE - keeps crashing

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/BMax IDE - keeps crashing

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#1]
OK.. so I finally decided to get me mac to find out what all the fuss is about.

I have installed the latest Max IDE 1.3 and Im not impressed. It keeps crashing at all sort of different times.. resulting in me losing whatever I had coded from the last save.

I cant really report a bug as I have yet to discover what causes the crash.
I have had it crash while changing the ide preferences, copy/pasting, while moving around the code, I even had it crash while i wasnt doing anything.. i was surfing in safari.

Am I the only one getting this ?.. Have I installed something wrong ?.. or is 1.3 experimental ?

I moved from Linux thinking the mac version will be better supported and more stable but Im starting to think the windows version is the only way to go.

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#2]
Doh - i never had that ...

What Version of Mac OS X do you have?
Do you have the latest Developer Tools ?

PPC or Intel ?

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#3]
Its Intel OS X 10.5.4
By developer tools do you mean the XCode I installed from the CD ? I may sound like a dim question but I really am very new to Mac's.
How do I find out whether I have the latest version of the dev tools ?

Its reassuring that it seems to be something I have done wrong that is causing these crashes.. I just need to figure out what it is.

thanx

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#4]
start XCode.
Go to XCode -> About XCode

My Version is 3.1

If you have updated the XCode Tools, try to download BltzMax 1.30 again and rebuild all Modules.

Hope that helps.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'm running 10.5.4 and BlitzMax IDE is fine here.

However, contratry to popular opinion, I did find that software stability could only be achieved by re-installing 10.5 fresh, and not doing an upgrade from 10.4, so if you went by that route, its probably wise to reformat and install 10.5

However, if its a new installation of 10.5 (which is most likely the case), I would recommend doing the two things that Mac people like to keep quoting : Repair permissions and do a verify of the hard drive.

Failing that, if you have AppleCare, use the TechTools to do a full scan of everything (memory, hardware etc etc).

If not, or after that, you need to find out whether its dependent on the user profile - so create a new user and see if BlitzMax works in that.

Personally, I do find program stability is lacking in most Mac software, unfortunately - when I initially got my Mac, and I tried one of the standard pieces of software, it crashed straight away...

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#6]
sorry about the slow response.. things are bit bit hectic at the moment and havent had a chance to do anything.

right.. so I have XCode 3.1 installed.. I did also install the iPhone SDK as well though.

I have done a rebuild of all modules.. so Ill see if it is any more stable.

then Ill try the repair permissions and disk verify thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions

cheers

MikeHart(Posted 2008) [#7]
mmmh, definately something is odd with your system I would say. I got my IMac 2 weeks ago and MaxIDE is running just fine. Btw, you just need to install the Iphone SDK, it comes with XCode 3.1 as well.

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hi Mike,

Yeah.. I had already installed XCode as soon as I got the machine.. it was only a week later when I decided to get the iPhone SDK.

Anyway... fingers crossed it all seems to be fine now. I re-downloaded BMax and rebuilt all modules.

Thanks all for the advice.