How to associate .bmx files with MaxIDE..?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/How to associate .bmx files with MaxIDE..?

BachFire(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello people,

I know the process of doing it. I get the Info of a .bmx file. There, under "Open with", I find and choose MaxIDE, and click "Change all". But then it gives me an error.. It says: "An unexpected error occurred (error code - 10813).".. Look here:

Anybody know how to solve this? :(

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#2]
Thats precisely what I get on one of my iMacs, and yet its all fine on the other two...

As far as I know its unsolvable (reporting it to Bug section of the Apple Developer program doesn't help either).

I do suspect the Mac program isn't totally correct - in that some plist or something is missing.

Might be worth looking at : http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1140217&tstart=0

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#3]
I've partially solved the problem (Change All still doesn't work, but then it never has for me), but I have found that replacing the pinfo.list file with a (correct) one solves file association and makes BlitzMax a recommended program.

BachFire(Posted 2008) [#4]
That's nice. I was fiddling with the info.plist file myself, but couldn't quite make it work. I had trouble with the parameter "CFBundleSignature" in it, because that requires some key you put in the source code (as far as I understand it).

Can you perhaps share the info.plist you are using, that make it work? ;-)

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#5]
Here is the correct info.plist file :

http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/MiscThings/piccie.tiff

It seems that if you export to a text file, you get the incorrect file - I wonder if thats what Mark/Seb did ?

BachFire(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hmm.. Okay, I edited it directly in Property List Editor. Sadly, it does not make a difference. We are talking about the file that is within the MaxIDE package, right? I got happy, because it worked with the first .bmx file I tried with. But others, it just says "There is no default application specified to open the document "xxxxx.bmx".".. It puzzles me, that it works with SOME .bmx files, but not all..?? It's not even packages, it's just friggin' text files with a .bmx extension.. How can there be a difference between two such files? This confuses the hell out of me..! I also tried to make a new .bmx file, but that will not open MaxIDE either..

And even though it's not in OS X's nature to restart the system after such changes, I tried to restart anyway. It didn't change anything.

Anyway, thanks a LOT for trying. I don't know what else to do. If you (or anyone..) have any other thoughts, please.. Yes, please.. Hehe.. :)

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#7]
The first time you will be asked for the program to open the file with, but after that all BMX files should load with MaxIDE.

It might be worth deleting the LaunchServices files - the easiest way is to get Onyx and use that to do it.

It should also make MaxIDE a Recommended Program (and thus fixes the icon of BMX files).

It doesn't, unfortunately fix Change All - I still get that wretched error message for some reason. However, with the proper list file, it shouldn't be needed as the file associations would be correct.

I did have correct file icons in my Downloads folder - but nowhere else. No idea why...

I have sent a longish email to Support about this, so hopefully someone will look into it.

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#8]
We should post that into the "BlitzMax Bug Reports" Forum or ?

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#9]
Have done a while ago. There has been no comment on it though :(

BachFire(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hey MrTAToad.

It actually helped rebuilding Launch Services.. Now all .bmx files opens with MaxIDE. Thanks a lot for your help! ;) This is good enough for me, until it gets fixed.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#11]
Simon has let Mark know about it, so hopefully any updates will come with a correct pinfo file :)

Corum(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hi!
I'm sorry to bump a dead thread, but I had the OP problem and lurked around the Web in order to solve it.
Well, I've followed the above tips and, furthermore, I modified the Info.plist file inside MaxIDE application bundle, to fix the icon issue too.

I firstly modified the Info.plist file inside MaxIDE application bundle, adding a child branch*.
Then, using Onyx 2.0.4, I did a Cleanup of LaunchServices cache ( http://www.titanium.free.fr ).

At this point, when I double-clicked a .max source file, the association was already done and, after the "first launch" confirmation, I succeeded to get the extension and icon association to every single source file on my HD, wherever it is.

* Just for ease of operation, I included the export of Info.plist file included into my MaxIDE bundle.
For your safety, don't forget to backup the original Info.plist file.
Create an empty text file, paste the below XML snippet and save it as "Info.plist".
You just need to replace the existing one with this one you've just created.

Hope this helps.
Happy clicking! ^_^

Corum(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just Did further tweaking. ^_^
Now I have different icons for executables and source files. :-)

degac(Posted 2009) [#14]
Oh thank you very much!
I like the possibility to have different icons for source and execs!

Nigel Brown(Posted 2010) [#15]
any chance you can upload the icon file you have created? Very nice.

Corum(Posted 2010) [#16]
I'm happy and proud to share it. ^_^
I just made a zip containing both icon and tweaked plist file.
Everybody feel free to download and spread it. ;-)
If Mark likes it too, he could even include this stuff as he likes in next distributions. :)

Bye.

Last edited 2011

Difference(Posted 2010) [#17]
BlitzMax BlitzMax 1.37 seems to solve the file association for me.

Can you guys confirm that?

Corum(Posted 2010) [#18]
Haven't installed 1.37 yet, but looking at IDE application bundle, it includes the right info.plist file.
So it seems completely fixed.
Nice one, Blitz! ;)

William Drescher(Posted 2010) [#19]
Sorry to bring back such an old topic, but I cannot get the icons to show up in the Finder.