New Mac Mini - A little confused with ZIP files

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/New Mac Mini - A little confused with ZIP files

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm new to the Mac, having just got a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. I'm starting to find my way around OS X, although some things are a little different to the more familiar Windows XP.

I'll get to the point...

How does OS X handled ZIP files? Does it automatically extract the contents after downloading? I can't see the ZIP file I downloaded anywhere, but I have a BlitzMax folder in my Downloads folder.

To install BlitzMax on my Mac, do I just copy the BlitzMax folder to the Applications folder?

Thanks

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#2]
It will automatically extract them into the same directory that the ZIP file is on. Just double-click on it.

As for installing, make sure XCode (from the DVD that comes with the machine) is installed, and then just copy the BlitzMax folder to the Applications directory.

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks. I installed XCode for iPhone development, so I'm good to go by the look of it.

I had no zip in my download folder; just the BlitzMax folder. Does OS X automatically unzip downloads and delete the zip file then?

Winni(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yes, that is Safari's default behavior.

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks Winni

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yeah, if you switch to Firefox for example, downloaded files won't be extracted automatically.

Safari also automatically mounts .dmg images you download. If you still don't know what they are, it's just another standard way of distributing software on a Mac. They're virtual disk images (much like an .iso), that you can mount and see the disk into your desktop. You just copy the files it contains (normally an application) into your hard drive, unmount the drive, and you're done.

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks Jedive. The DMG thing threw me a little at first. I'm not sure I like Safari extracting and mounting automatically, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
In Safari, go to Preferences -> General , and un-check : Open "safe" files after downloading.

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#9]
Done - Cheers Brucey

MikeHart(Posted 2008) [#10]
The downloaded zip file will be in the trash bin after it was automatically unzipped. I have a mac just for 2 weeks but I know how that feels when you come from a windows environment. It is a little confusing and much more simple than you think. In a very good way.