php IDE for MacOS X

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/php IDE for MacOS X

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm looking for a good IDE for editing php files in a MacOS X environment (PPC) but when searching sourceforge I found nothing for that platform. Do you know any good programs I could use for that.

I don't need much. Just one in which I can find lines back quickly (textwrangler for example doesn't use line numbers which gives me a hard time finding errors back) and a syntax highlight. I don't need much more than that.

I'd be really grateful when you could get me one...

Winni(Posted 2007) [#2]
Tric, TextWrangler -does- support line numbers. Open the TextWrangler/Preferences menu, then select "Text Status Display". There, check "Show line numbers". Voila.

Command-J or Search/Go to Line... lets you navigate to a line in the text.

It should do syntax highlighting for PHP by default.

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'll sort that out. But Textwrangler and I have never been good friends. Especially the search feature malfunctions. It NEVER finds what I'm looking for. This had forced me serveral times to use a plain text editor to do the job (which could find EVERYTHING I was looking for in the same source file).

So cut short, I wanna get rid of that, and I'm looking for a good alternative.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hmmm... Eclipse works very well on Macs, and you can try PHPEclipse:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57621

Or you can use Apple's Xcode:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/scripting/phpappledevtools.html

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#5]
Eclipse gets my vote, I use it at work and it's very good.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#6]
Eclipse here :-)

Used it to develop a few online tools in the office.

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hmmm.... I tried to open a php file in Eclipse ending up that it opened TextWrangler to do the job....

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#8]
You need to tell eclipse what to do with a particular file type.
If the default is "System" it will use whatever is your system default editor - like TextWrangler, for example.

Right-clicking on a file and looking at Open With should give you an idea of the options available.

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks... I'll try that out...

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#10]
Not very succesful so far....
I really need to dig this out, I suppose...