Intel Mac Software - lack of?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Intel Mac Software - lack of?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi folks.

Okay, so how many people here are now working on an Intel Mac, and how many are finding that there really isn't very much software available that runs natively, compared to PPC?

I have found hardly any BlitzMax projects with intel mac support.

I guess this means I'll have to get cracking with making some software ;-)

Winni(Posted 2007) [#2]
I don't know about BlitzMax projects with Mactel support, but these are the only applications on my (Intel) Mac that are still PowerPC only:

Microsoft Remote Desktop Client (which will change when Mac:Office 2008 is shipped)
Lego Mindstorms NXT Software (which is overdue already)

The only thing that can make the list longer are (old) games:

ActionSoft Midnight Mansion
Gish
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rescue
Cliver Barker's Undying

Hey, even Warcraft III is now a Universal Binary! ;-)

Actually, the transition to Intel software support went much faster than I had originally expected and the only big player out there that is not there yet is -- what a surprise -- Microsoft...

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well, my PC is my primary development system, but my Intel Mac is networked to it for any immediate testing/changes. So PC and Intel Mac are always at the same state. I also have a PPC Mac, but that is about a week behind, as it is now being babysat by my sister.

I do agree with your observation, as it is one that I have noticed myself. It is not, however, unexpected, as developers will not convert older software for the Intal platform unless there is something to be made from it, i.e. cash.

pls(Posted 2007) [#4]
My first game on Blitzmax (Su Doku Live / http://www.deadpixelgames.com ) is a Universal Binary... Blitzmax works perfectly on Intel Macs, the only thing it lacks is to making use of the cross-compiler that is built into Xcode to produce the universal binaries. As it stands it requires access to both Intel and PPC in order to get the final executables out if someone wants to support a bigger user base.

Ah, and mac games sell pretty damn well.

PLS