Can't get a Blitzmax Game to run?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Can't get a Blitzmax Game to run?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ok, being a big Mac novice I have a question.

In Windows, if a blitz game fails to work you advise people to do the stereotypical Windows things of:-

- updating your graphics card drivers
- upgrading to latest version of DirectX
- latest service pack in XP

etc.

But what do you do (can you do?) if a Blitzmax game doesn't run on your Mac? Apart from upgrading to the latest version of the OS, are there are other obvious tips/tricks?

Any info would be appreciated. Ta :)

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#2]
Well, the minimum OS is currently 10.3.9 or later, so anyone would need to have at least that version on their Mac.

Up to date drivers is still true on the Mac, but I believe all is handled via the built-in Software Update feature of OS X (never actually noticed any graphics drivers download when I've done this though!). As is true for BlitzMax programs on Windows, you will still need a 3D accelerated graphics card before programs will run at an acceptable speed, plus OpenGL. Having said that, you can still download graphics drivers seperately from the manufacturer of the graphics card.

Are you experiencing any particular problem?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'm not experiencing any problems. It's other people.

Before I upgraded my Mac OS when I tried to Run Blitzmax the icon would enlarge at the bottom and then shirnk away straight away as soon as it had got larger. This is now happening when a Blitzmax game is being run on their machine, best example I can give I'm afraid. So no idea what advice to give after saying, upgrade your OS. Since I don't have any problems.

Do you have to update OpenGL manually on the Mac too? (As if it were the DirectX of the Mac?)
Sorry for the gay questions :)

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#4]
I imagine the problem some people are having is related to the version of OS X they are running. Have they provided any system specs?

Like DirectX on Windows, OpenGL is the standard graphics API on the Mac, so comes pretty much as standard along with the OS and the graphics card drivers. Upgrading is simply a matter of downloading the latest graphics drivers. However, I have never had the need to manually download graphics driver and have simply used the Software Update feature of OS X to keep everything up to date (more the OS rather than the graphics drivers).

If they are trying to run it on a system that doesn't have a 3D card or OpenGL, then the app might just quit, although I would have thought that the user would have got an "unable to set graphics mode" error or such like.

To be honest, I've had little or no issues and am something of a Mac newbie myself, although I have been using them for a little over a year.

I would suggest getting as much of a system spec off the people having problems as possible and then posting them here. Maybe myself or someone more in the know will be able to provide a better likely cause. At least try and get the OS version and graphics card, which should all be available from the "About this Mac" option in Finder.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#5]
If there is any compatability issue you will get a crash and a slightly helpful dump that can often indicate where the problem is.

The bouncing icon i think is common problem in 10.3 when an app is moved or rennamed and the shortcut nolonger works, bmk was fixed last year to generate slightly more portable apps that didn't get lost quite so easily.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2007) [#6]
Well I've asked for some system specs, just waiting.

There's also another symptom I have no answer for.

You run a game, screen goes black and instantly goes into what looks like sleep mode, after a while some sounds can be heard but no picture. You have to force quit the game to go back to normal.

Again, doesn't happen on my Mac.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#7]
Not heard of that one. Weird. Probably best to see what specs are brought back.