Boot Camp - Windows on a Macbook - sound problems?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Boot Camp - Windows on a Macbook - sound problems?

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#1]
Not sure if I should post this in this topic or the Win32 topic! What an age we live in...

Just put bootcamp and WinXP onto my new Macbook Pro - everything runs fine, although I haven't actually installed any programs yet. But the sound is very crackly, all the time. My friend has exactly the same problem on his. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm wondering if it's inherent and unavoidable, or if it is an issue with the Macintosh drivers supplied by bootcamp and therefore will be fixed in later bootcamp editions, or if I could maybe find a better motherboard driver for my windows partition (as the sound is integrated)?

Winni(Posted 2007) [#2]
BootCamp is officialy still in beta and so are the drivers. It is also possible that Apple simply does not want everything to work perfectly at this time, because BootCamp is a feature of Leopard, and therefore something current users eventually will have to pay for.

Anyway, I think this is something specific to the MacBook, because it works nice here on an iMac Core Duo and a MacBook Pro. There are, however, other issues on these machines, e.g. with the iSight camera. But, like I've said above, everything is still Beta and probably on purpose so.

How current is your BootCamp version? Apple keeps posting "silent" updates on their website. Sometimes also an older version of BootCamp produces better results than the latest version (no kidding).

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'm on a Macbook Pro, not a Macbook, so that's weird that you're okay on your pro. I'm using bootcamp 1.1.2 beta - guess I'll just have to wait for a driver update in a new beta or Leopard itself.

Retro(Posted 2007) [#4]
I have a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp 1.1.1 beta and I can't say I've ever noticed any sound problems whilst running Win XP.

And I often play games like Halo, CounterStrike Source and Half-Life 2.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#5]
What MacBook revision do you have? The one that we have here is the Rev A model with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, and it works fine.

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#6]
I don't know what revision, but it's the 2.66 cpu. How would I find out the revision? (I got it just before Xmas)

Winni(Posted 2007) [#7]
I guess that makes your notebook a Rev B, and maybe that's already the answer for the sound issues. Your MacBook uses a Core 2 Duo CPU, and the one we have here has the older Core Duo processor. There are probably some other differences between the two versions.

By the way, you can use the "Apple" menu, select "About this Mac" and then open the System Profiler to learn more about your machine. The revision code is usually printer on the bottom of the machine.

mrtricks(Posted 2007) [#8]
Cheers for the info :)