I pitty Windows Vista users, and here's why...

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/I pitty Windows Vista users, and here's why...

bregors(Posted 2006) [#1]

cloned(Posted 2006) [#2]
dude if you don't like it don't use it and stop complaining about how it is a rip off of Mac OS X. it may be but no one is forcing you to use it

also OS X updates more often than windows. apple puts out a new version a lot more than microsoft. microsoft makes a new one every 4 or 5 years.

they also make it from the ground up for most sections of the OS well apple releases a different version of OS X with different features and changed parts of the API but it is still very similar to the last version. it is a good thing because it keeps getting better and better but you have to keep learning how it works.

also the one thing vista has over Mac OS X is DX10, even though i wish OpenGL would be used more. so vista will be more popular with gamers, well when more games require it.

and i have noticed people have been getting Macs more and more so i doubt apple will lose any business. and i have heard a lot of people complaining about vista's system requirements and they would rather stick with XP or go to linux/Mac OS X. so apple has nothing to worry about.

i know i am getting a MacBook Pro over a PC except for gaming(might get a Mac Pro and duel boot).

also ideas are being copied within indsutries all the time. sony copied some stuff from nintendo and nintendo copied the look of apple products for their consoles. they look really cool

bregors(Posted 2006) [#3]

bregors(Posted 2006) [#4]

degac(Posted 2006) [#5]
Don't worry much about this!
Microsoft can 'grab' the concepts of Apple OS, but the result will be *very* uncomfortable (ie: you need a DX9+ card to have the same effect, a dual core cpu, a Gb ram and so on...my little&old iBook - running Mac OS X 10.3.9 on a PowerPC @500Mhz - is still faster than my WinXP2+Athlon3500 in the desktop management!)

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#6]
MicroSoft has already been guilty of theft on the moment they published their first release. And they have been guilty of theft ever since. So why would I worry about this MacOS X rip-off.

For me it's only the question when the people will wake up and realise what kind of crappy company MicroSoft is.

(In Dutch I call them MicroSchoft. Dutchies know what I mean).

taumel(Posted 2006) [#7]
Apple ripped enough on their own from others (Xerox, M$,...) as well and they would be nowhere without Next and openSource. The times when Apple was innovative are a bit over. Apple is great at marketing and selling you a banana as an apple. Like M$ they nowadays aquire smaller firms for their technology if they don't get it the other way like ZFS from Sun and they licence a lot of stuff too.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#8]
Isn't Tiger's time machine just a rip-off of XP's restore points? I think it's a great idea to take the best ideas from someone else's OS and stick them in your own. If Vista is just like OSX I will be chuffed. The only reason I don't use OSX is that Windows has a much bigger user base and more software available.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#9]

taumel(Posted 2006) [#10]
Then you should really be angry of Apple as they make a fuzz about stuff others invented like they would have done it on their own. Man if i only remember the first presentation of 10.5 and how they've showed off virtual desktops as they've invented it for instance, for years available on linux and so on...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#11]
Sounds like we're all in agreement. They all try and claim stuff as their own innovation, and I don't agree with that either.

Physt(Posted 2006) [#12]
So is Apple too stupid to enforce their patents? Oh I know... they don't have them in the first place because they stole from everybody else.

I don't mind macs, just the people you have to hang out with if you use them.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#13]
I'm happy they can't enforce copyright here. Copyrighting computer concepts such as UI holds back the entire industry in a very harmful way.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#14]

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ok, whats with the Mac interface, safari, and all those mac files? Surely those arent ripped off. I mean I tested a Windows Vista at Best Buy and I dont remember any of that.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#16]
Guys, it's clearly an edited video by a Mac fan showing that Mac already has everything Vista is boasting about.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#17]
I don't care if Microsoft holds a monopoly or if it has copied the best bits from other OSs. Vista works and it looks pretty. That's enough for me.

And, quite frankly, I would hate it if there was a whole bunch of popular, mutually incompatible, fundamentally different operating systems to choose from. I want one standard operating system across all systems that works, that's all.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#18]

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#19]
You're exagerating the similarities between the two systems. Besides, isn't OSX based on Debian Unix? Surely this is a more blatant example of borrowing from another OS (note that I don't call it stealing, because, obviously, it isn't) than Microsoft using certain similar design concepts to OSX?

If you are saying that OS developers are only allowed to learn from and build upon their own previous operating systems (which your argument basically seems to boil down to) then should Apple remove all traces of Unix from OSX? Or does this "no copying" rule only apply to Microsoft and their products?

Warren(Posted 2006) [#20]
BrEgOrS

You're still not addressing the fact that the video isn't showing Vista. It's showing OSX with a Vista presentation sound track laid on top. Vista doesn't look like that.

You're ranting over something that isn't real.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#21]

bregors(Posted 2006) [#22]

Warren(Posted 2006) [#23]
Warren, the whole point is that the VIDEO is OSX, and the AUDIO is Vista. Microsoft has ripped so much from OSX that the two presentations can work side by side. That's why the video is called 'Presenting the real Windows Vista'. The Mac fan wanted to point out how much microsoft was ripping from OSX. You get to SEE what gets ripped in the video, while HEARING vista's newfound features being touted as new technology in the audio.

I guess I don't see where you're saying something different from me. That's my point.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#24]

Warren(Posted 2006) [#25]
My beef is that the basis of your argument is centered around a mock video on YouTube. It just comes off as generic whining about Microsoft. Given the slightest provocation and, boom, off goes the anti-M$ brigade, starting threads and shouting injustices.

Anyway...

bregors(Posted 2006) [#26]

Winni(Posted 2006) [#27]
Just for the record, OS X is based on FreeBSD 5, but uses a Mach kernel developed by Apple instead of the original FreeBSD kernel. OS X actually is a real UNIX - more than the famous Linux, which is "just" a kernel that implements POSIX interfaces, but is not a descendant of the "official" Unix, as FreeBSD and OS X are.

Among other things, see this for reference:
http://www.apple.com/science/whymac/myths.html

Windows, Mac OS (X), Amiga and almost any other graphical user interface are actually based upon the Xerox Star computer who was the first machine with a GUI. However, Windows -is- a direct rip-off of the original Mac OS and its applications and was "conceived" during the time when Microsoft had access to the first development version of the Macintosh. Years later, MS was only able to settle their lawsuit with Apple for 100 million US dollars and a patent agreement because Apple corporation was in deep financial trouble. So, yes, Apple actually had sued them, trying to protect their property and interest, launching one of the biggest lawsuits in IT history.

Who's interested in more details about that part of IT history should for example start reading "Barbarians led by Bill Gates" and "Revolution in the valley: The insanely great story of how the Mac was made".

Above video actually is quite funny, because it really is using the audio of a Microsoft Vista presentation, but actually shows an OS X Tiger desktop, a by now three years old operating system. The entire point of the video is to demonstrate that Vista is nothing more than a OS X rip-off and that Microsoft is obviously incapable of producing something creative and innovative on their own.

Whoever has already used Vista -and- Mac OS X Tiger just cannot be excited about Vista at all - it is resource hungry like nothing else, slow, UGLY and has absolutely no new features compared to old OS X operating systems. There might be something new in it for Windows XP users, but nothing one could not get by installing (free) third party tools.

About the "whining": Microsoft behaves just like the Bush administration, which is why nobody who's got his head screwed right has any warm feelings for that company. (Or the Bush administration, for that matter.)

And, no, I do not think that Apple as a company is any better than Microsoft, at least not on the long run. But unlike Microsoft, they sell good and user-friendly products that really "just work". And at the moment, that is a good enough reason for me to use their products almost exclusively.

Linux or the other Open Source platforms are just not there yet. And, by the way, they are also only rip-offs of their commercial competition. The only truely innovative things about Open Source are the development process and the licensing model. But other than that, I still have not found anything astonishingly new or creative in the Open Source world. The developers are too busy with cloning commercial products rather than thinking about how something could be done in a better and more efficient and user-friendly way.

Which closes the circle back to Apple. For example, they did not invent the mp3 player, but when they decided to enter that market, they created nothing less than the very best mp3 player. Ever wondered why so many professional photographers have bought iPods? Maybe you should connect your digital camera to one, then. Hint: It's not just a dumb mp3 player.

Now we once again see Microsoft enter a market others have successfully occupied. And once again, they enter with a second class technology but a huge marketing budget. But this time, we will see them fail. Zune is doomed because it only represents the interests of the content industry, and zero of the customers interests. You cannot freely copy with Zune. EVERYTHING ends in a DRM containter that prevents the user from freely using their music. They made the same mistake with Vista, and this concept just cannot work. Microsoft lost touch with their base, and we will now observe their slow downfall.

Anyway, enough of that crap for tonight. ;-)

Warren(Posted 2006) [#28]
Nice logic! LOL.

Honestly. I'm beginning to suspect that you're very young and/or English isn't your first language. I just can't get through to you.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#29]

bregors(Posted 2006) [#30]
@Warren
Here's a cookie. Let's be friends. :)

bregors(Posted 2006) [#31]

bregors(Posted 2006) [#32]
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsw72olwZo

I never knew that Bill gates said such a thing regarding the Macintosh. No wonder he copied it. The above video is a good watch if you can get by the silly Text-To-Speech crap.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#33]

Warren(Posted 2006) [#34]
Here's a cookie. Let's be friends. :)

I'm not your friend. I'm willing to live and let live in most cases but you are, unfortunately, really irritating to me. Sorry.

hard2sea(Posted 2006) [#35]
Winni

Good post!

I'm one of the switchers. I fired Bill and Microsoft five years ago, bit the bullet, and never looked back. I do not care about core arcitecture, kernels, and such. I use a computer to DO things. Bill was fired because of months of down time and instability. I now own 7 Macs, and only one PowerBook gave any problem at all (bad third party RAM).

I chose Apple because of Microsoft's inabilty, if Apple fails to deliver at some time in the future, I'll fire them too. But for now, I'm a happy camper.

BTW, as far as I can tell Blitz works fine on my Macs.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#36]

Warren(Posted 2006) [#37]
:) kissie kissie.

Can you please stop taunting me? It's really immature and I don't appreciate it. Do it again and I'll be emailing support with a complaint.

bregors(Posted 2006) [#38]

Winni(Posted 2006) [#39]
The original Nvidia drivers for FreeBSD work nice and from what I have seen in the past perform faster than their Linux siblings. The Linux versions, however, have more features. UT2004 ran a good deal faster on FreeBSD than it did on a Linux on the same machine . But this is two year old knowledge and experience and was one of the last things I tried before I finally switched to Macs.

I don't know if anyone here reads the blogs of the Mono project, but I found it quite interesting that some of the developers wrote that they use Linux ONLY in virtual machines, "because life is too short". After all, most of these people make a living by writing software for Linux, so it is rather "fascinating" that some do not use it as their main desktop operating system. I read the post several months ago, so I don't know if it can still be found on "Monologue".

@hard2sea:
Same here. I've been using PCs and Microsoft products for around 20 years, and then I got fed up. Unfortunately, I still have to use them at work (I'm an admin). My greatest concern with Apple is not necessarily that they might sell crappy products one day, but that they will also jump to hard on the DRM train and take away my liberties as a user. But then, Ubuntu-Linux is still around and it runs nicely on Macs. So not all hope for the free world is lost. ;-)

Oh, and yes, BlitzMax does a great job on Macs, too. Somebody at BRL must like the Mac platform. :)

bregors(Posted 2006) [#40]

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#41]
".", ".", ".", "."?

....?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#42]
He replaced all his posts with "." in a melodramatic hissy fit.

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#43]
Hmmmm..... I guess so....
I wonder why?
Oh well, I guess that's none of my business....