Stability of Mac version of Blitz IDE?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Stability of Mac version of Blitz IDE?

MadCat13(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just wondering if anyone else has had a lot of trouble with the IDE crashing, especially while in debugging mode. It's a good possibility that it's just my computer, since it's an "upgrade" grey-and-white with a third-party processor in it. (I just upgraded to 1.22 which helps some)

Anyway, I'm working on a tile-based level editor, and I keep crashing while I'm debugging. I fixed a couple of errors in my code, and it seems to be working properly now, but I always crash before I can do a full trace.

I'll post more later. My head's killing me right now :P

MadCat13

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yep. I've had the MacOS IDE crash on me several times in just the past 2 weeks that I've had my Mac. I can't remember if I was in debug mode or not. Since I do my actual developing on the PC, I didn't raise a stink about it. The MacOS IDE seems even more unstable than the Windows version. :(

Without knowing exactly what caused the crash and how to replicate it, BRL really can't do anything about it. If you can replicate the crash and describe it to Mark, please post it in the Bug forums.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
I've had tons of trouble with the IDE when using debugstop() and tracing, both on Mac and PC. This was a while back haven't tried recently.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#4]
i've not used debugstop() but I have no trouble with the IDE crashing. I have lots of trouble typing in the thing, because the key binds for word/line skipping are not intuitive. I'd recommend fixing drive permissions and checking for corrupte prefs/fonts, which solves 99.99% of non-internet related problems on the Mac.

pls(Posted 2006) [#5]
The IDE works if you do not mess with debug functions... I would rather have support for Xcode than a custom IDE but the one provided "works".

I have never had a crash, I never use the debug functions (they are broken).

Anyway. I am happy with what I bought.

PLS

MadCat13(Posted 2006) [#6]
I've not really been able to replicate the crash because it doesn't seem to pick any exact time to fail, althought it seems to happen more often when I'm watching array handling (more specifically, looking at the contents of arrays while they are being resized)

To Banshee, didn't see any problems with the things you mentioned.

I'm not unhappy with BlitzMax (I actually like it a lot. It's plenty powerful plus cross-platform), I've just come to rely on debuggers for doing traces. Are the debug functions still actively being worked on, or are they pretty much dead? Any third-party debuggers for BlitzMax?

Anyway, thanks for all the replies,

MadCat13

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#7]
The problem is replicating the problem. If we can replicate it we can fix it.

MadCat13(Posted 2006) [#8]
When I've got more time, I'll get at it again to see if I can figure out exactly what's causing the crash.

MadCat13

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2006) [#9]
When using B3D is used to open a logfile and use that with Debug mode to write what ws going on at specific times if I had severe lockups of crashes... If you have an idea of what section of code this happens in... or if you did that for the main chiunks and then when you saw the last entry you got real tight on what it was doing...

I found out the hard way about passing variables the wrong way or passing the wrong type of variable to the wrong type etc. :)

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#10]
I've had my IDE lock up 3 times since I started using it again - after upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.8 and the 2.4 gig monster that is the latest Xcode...
Hmm, I think the Max version - which I didn't have issues with - was maybe 1.20 (or whatever version was current back in June)

Always in Debug, while switching between stepping through the application, and the GUI app that was being debugged...

If I can find an "always happens if you do this", I'll be sure to post it.

:o)