IBook G3 question

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/IBook G3 question

*(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have been given a IBook G3 (Model M6497) but the system is password locked, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove or change the password?

I havent been given any disks with it just the IBook and two chargers.

If anyone knows the commands to remove the password I would be grateful for a step by step guide if possible as im normally a DOS/Windows person and have had little mac experience.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2006) [#2]
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_reset_my_mac_os_x_admin_root_password.html

You need an OS X install disk to do it unfortunately. Maybe you can borrow one from somebody?

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#3]
Or you could just give old Garrett here that iBook... ;-)

*(Posted 2006) [#4]
Unfortunately I dont know anyone with a Mac let alone OS X Panther disks, I can get into the command prompt with 'Command-S' but I cant get anywhere else as I havent used unix much before only at college (some 15 years ago).

Any help would be appreciated otherwise I will have to look on ebay for some disks.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#5]
Can you see the desktop, to get to system preferences? If you can go to the accounts section and there you can change passwords.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#6]
The only way to get around the password problem will be to reformat and reinstall OS X.

Even though you can get to the command-line, you would need to know the root password to be able to change the user password (to log in)... as in :

sudo passwd theuser

(where sudo requires the root/admin password before running the command).

You could of course try to guess the root password... maybe it's something silly, like "admin", or "imac" or so... (you'd be surprised)

But yeah, you wanna get yourself an OS X cd :-)

Winni(Posted 2006) [#7]
Maybe this will help you:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30749

it's for OS X Server, but it should be applicable to the desktop version as well.

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#8]
If all else fails, download and burn a Ubuntu Linux PPC CD and turn that little
bugger into a Linux Laptop ;-)

Winni(Posted 2006) [#9]
Garrett - yeah, Ubuntu runs great on Macs. The only problem is, he won´t have much fun with BlitzMax on Ubuntu/PowerPC...

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#10]
Ouch, yeah, forgot about that :-(

*(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yeah installed Ubuntu on it in the end :)