how to create sprite in open gl??

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/how to create sprite in open gl??

LESTROSO(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hy, i would like to know where i can find documentation to create sprite with open gl, the systems, the tricks.....because the bmx docs are very poor....unfortunetly.....

thank you in advance.......

lestroso

LESTROSO(Posted 2006) [#2]
I saw the nehe examples but anybody have for macos x already the right source of that tutorials to share?

thanks again........

lestroso

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
It's a good idea if you're using OpenGL to read the OpenGL red and blue books which are free online, then you'll have a good understanding of how to do whatever you want.

You have to first load your sprite image into a pixmap. Then you have to set up OpenGL environment and upload the pixmap as a texture. Then you have to switch on texture mapping and draw a quad with texture coords.

LESTROSO(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thank you AngelDaniel!!! your explanation seem to be easy, but it's more difficult that i can imagine.....i'm newbe blitzmax user... But where i can find that documentation??? is there a examples codes for blitzmax user?? do you know the links??? (for mac os x) .....

thank you in advance!!!!!

lestroso

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2006) [#5]
FWIW, I prefer the OpenGL SuperBible to the Red/Blue book. Get an older version for cheap.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#6]
Take a look at my opengl blobby objects tutorial thing, it has some sourcecode which includes the basic parts you need to upload a texture and draw it as a quad on the screen. Search the tutorials forum for `blob` and see the opengl blob tutorial.

But yes besides that you should read the opengl red and blue books. Everyone was a blitzmax newbie at the start, I knew nothing about OpenGL. Reading most of the red book online gave me a pretty good understanding of most things about it, enough to write some code. It is somewhat more complicated than a single line of code, but it is doable.

LESTROSO(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thank you very much AngelDaniel!!!..... i will see that as soon as possible.....

lestroso