Minimum hardware requirement ?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Minimum hardware requirement ?

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#1]
I would like to translate a PC game made with Bmax into a Mac game.
It is a simple 2D match-3 game.
I know nothing about the Mac world and I wonder what is the minimum hardware requirement for making such game.
Is a G4 400 Mhz powerfull enough ?

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#2]
I'm guessing it should be, but I think you'd be better off getting someone with a few old macs to test it for you..

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah, I'd recommend trying to get someone with a current Intel-based Mac test it for you for good measure. After all, most modern Macs will work under totally different hardware architecture, so you have to be considerate of that as well as the older PowerPC processors.

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#4]
My main aim is to make a game that RUN on a 'old' PowerPC, assuming that it will run on latest version (is'nt the Mac world supposed to be more 'compatible' ?) Anyway I suppose also that Intel Macs will run Windows game.
What I wonder is if Bmax runs enough smoothly with a G4 400 +Ati or even weaker machine.
By smoothly I assume a fps around 30 for a 2D game.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, you can even get one of last year's Mac Mini models, which may still have the G4 or G5 technology. Now Mac Mini's are sorta low end, so you can probably get one rather affordable and try running something on that.

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ok, thanks for the hint, Macmini seems indeed a good choice.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#7]
I got Space Corps Armageddon working on a G3 Dalmation iMac, all I had to do was cut back the amount of graphics ram used by using lower quality background images.

You'd be suprised at how old a machine will run a 2D BMax applications can be.

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#8]
I finally got my Macmini :)
Nice little machine.
However, when I want to compile my PC game, it gives me the error "invalid mnemonic : _GetDC"
Does anyone know what it means ?
I installed XCode 1.5 to fit with my 10.3.9 system

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#9]
I've got the lowest end Mac Mini PPC from over a year ago and here's the specs:

1.33 Ghz PowerPC G4
512 MB DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 (AGP 4x) 32 MB DDR

The Mac Mini prior to mine is about the same specs with regards to bottom end
memory and video, only the processor was a few mhz less.

If you'd like to get specs on any Mac computer, download the program from the
following web site:

http://www.mactracker.ca/

Pingus(Posted 2006) [#10]
Please forget my previous post... I removed some unnecessary PC code and the Macmini 1,25 Ghz compiled the whole code like a charm :-)
Still have some sound problems but I'll post them in another topic.. ;-/