Promote the Mac forum

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Promote the Mac forum

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#1]
Believe it or not there is a Mac OS X forum here but it's hard to find.Congratulations on finding it!

I'm trying to get the forum administrator to move the Mac os X forum from the very bottom of the forum lists to the BlitzMax list. Considering the only Blitz product available for Mac os X is BlitzMax it makes sense. Currently Mac topics end up in the general forum and disappear very quickly. I urge all Mac users who would like to see the forum promoted and visible to all to contact the Blitz webmaster using this link http://www.blitzbasic.com/Contact/_index_.php

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#2]
Believe it or not, Just about every BlitzMax Mac User knows there's a Mac
section on the forum, with the exception of 1 user, which seems to be you.
And it's not hard to find at all, just freaking scroll the window and BAM!
There's the Mac section, and the Linux section and the Windows section!

You don't need to reply to every Mac post on the forums with this junk. You've
just wasted a lot of my time because I thought there were relevent replies to
these threads, and instead, I find in 6 threads your well intended, but totally off
the topic "Let's Force Mac Down the Throats of Everyone" campaign. Not Cool
at all! :-(

Stop posting this all over the forum and go code something already!

-Garrett

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hey, great way to get your anger out.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#4]
Garrett,
I replied to 4 posts last night not 6. My frustration is due to the webmaster not replying to my suggestion, no yes, no or maybe. I honestly feel that moving the Mac forum to the BlitzMax forum makes sense and can only benefit the Mac Blitz community.There are more posts in the BlitzMax forums concerning Mac Os X than there are in this Mac forum.

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#5]
Actually, I rechecked and it was 5 posts to replies and then this post.

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63169
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63119
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63252
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63410
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63411

I'm sorry, I thought it was 6 because I didn't read the "Video under Mac Os X ?"
assuming you had posted the same thing under that topic also since it was a
Mac related thread. Dummy me didn't realize it, but that thread was already
in the Mac OS X section, hence you wouldn't have posted that reply to that
thread.

And I can understand your frustration regarding getting some sort of reply from
the Blitz Research guy(s), as I had an issue with that prior to purchasing
BlitzMax/MaxGui.

Personally though, I disagree with moving the OS X specific forum because it's
inteneded for OS X specific topics, like the Linux and Win32 sections are, but
there are more occassions when the discussion is not specific to an OS, which
are near the top, which is where most of the questions and discussions take
place. It's rare that a question is specific to an OS, so it's more viable and logical
to keep those sections further below where the majority of activity takes place.

If you use any other cross platform tools like this, you'll find their forums also
set up in this manner.

That, and in most situations like this, there are very very few users for Mac
OS X, or even Linux for that fact. And there's probably even more Linux users
than Mac users. The majority are Windows users.

Then, if you do move the Mac OS X section up, the Linux users are going to
want their section moved up, and of course the Windows users are not going
to take that lightly and feel that it's an insult if their section is not up there
also. In the end, the majority of users will be totally annoyed at having to scroll
down to get past the less used sections in order to get to the more active
sections where they want and need to get to.

~ The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ~

My apologies if my initial reaction was a bit overboard. But honestly, my
reaction would have been the same regardless of the date, time or choice of
forums. Just finding the same reply posted in several threads would have
caused me to react the same way. I should probably learn to not let such
little things get to me though. My reaction is probably not justifiable.

You should have just started a new post in the other forums that was titled
with your intent so that there would be no confusion or OT situations within
an established thread.

IMO, regardless of what you do to attempt to get your idea to the powers that
be, it won't get the section moved.

But hey, gotta give you credit for at least taking some sort of action on
something you think is needed, maybe not the best way to go about bringing
attention to your cause, but at least you did something.

-Garrett

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
Its not a thread board for Bmax on the mac its a thread board for MacOS X Discussion.

In essence Mac users can decided that its more conveniant to post Bmax/Mac questions here, and not get all the crap reponces that us Windows users give. And it ensures that Mac questions dont get drowned in all the other posts.

Now Do you think Windows should have its own Bmax thread board? Lynx?

A Problem with Bmax and Mac can be posted on the other boards if you want. And stop moaning about how far down the page it is. Its still above the Windows and lynx boards.

(Oh but yes, It took me a mth before I noticed there was a general board, so I can sympathise with you, for being AS STUPID AS I WAS)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yeah, but then again, why not have more Linux BMax posts in the Linux forum, if that's how you're gonna be about it?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#8]
Cool !! I didn't even know this was here !

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#9]
This really doesn't solve anything. The majority of Blitz Max Mac posts are burried deep in the other forums. Perhaps I should stop my moaning and create a dedicated BlitzMax Mac OS website.

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#10]
That'd be real nice too. But don't get disappointed if there's not a whole lot of
activity at your site. There's not a whole lot of us Mac users here. But it would
be nice to have a dedicated location for all things Mac + Blitz related.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yeah, same's true with Linux users, but I, for one, can capture a Windows AND Linux community simultaneously. As far as a Mac community, maybe in another year or two when I get my iMac and triple boot it with Windows Vista, Leopard, and Ubuntu 7.

Now, as far as Leopard is concerned, now that will be a true 64-bit exclusive OS, meaning that it'll be natively 64-bit geared, I'm not too sure how Blitz would work on that upcoming Mac OS X lineup. Same's true with Vista, can't be too sure what the future of Blitz is going to be like.

DrDeath(Posted 2006) [#12]
Leopard is not "64-bit exclusive", if you imply with this that it will not run 32-bit software. Unlike Windows 64 - which requires the notorious "Windows on Win64" compatibility environment to run older software - it runs both 32 and 64-bit software natively.

Be sure that BlitzMax will run on Leopard - even on a 64-bit Mac. It just might not be able to take advantage of the "64bittyness".

By the way: Vista isn't "64-bit" exclusive in this way either...

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#13]
There's not a whole lot of us Mac users here.

In fairness there is a reason for that, and it's not entirely the Mac's fault. It's not just a case of smaller user base, and a user base that is generally speaking less technically interested, but the fact that Blitz compilation requires you own two Macs.

That and the Apple keyboard is positively the worse keyboard ever for programming... I hate it, but at least the things do support USB. I've already slapped a PC mouse on mine, I really should put a USB keyboard on it too - but the USB ports on the keyboard are so handy ...

Dammit, you've made me indecisive now!

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#14]
I develop mostly on the PC and consider myself a PC enthusiast (owning 8 different PCs over the last 15 years). I just bought my first MacBook Pro and I have to say: I love it. While I will never give up my PC as a primary development tool, the Mac is such a joy to work with that it will forever be part of my studio.

I do hope the Mac forums pick up a bit more. It would be helpful.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#15]
For my own part I linger here intermittently, the furor in General doesn't interest me too much anymore because I stand out so much it's hard for all discussions not to boil down to the same thing once i'm involved "OMGzor it's a gurl!" "Whats one of those" "Yeah but she's bloody good" (well mediocre if I was a man)... So I stop by here or post for help but i'm not that involved here any more. That and I tend to take things as I see them, not as they're intended.

I wont go into too much detail with a forum staff discussion recently about Blitz being a games tool, and me not completely in agreement, but that put me off too, because the attitude wasn't constructive.

I wonder also just how much commitment to the platform there is. If I start development of my next big project in BMax, will BMax evolve enough on the Mac for my own project to be sustainable? I preffer to take tools as they are, and currently using BMax for anything serious and sustainable scares the bejesus out of me.