Get Tiger or wait for Leopard

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Get Tiger or wait for Leopard

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm running 10.3.9 on a PPC mac mini. I was thingking about upgrading the OS. The question is, should I wait for Leopard or go ahead and upgrade to Tiger now? I don't see anything saying that Leopard will be free if you buy Tiger.

deps(Posted 2006) [#2]
Wait for Leopard. Soon after it's out a lot of released games and apps won't work on Tiger.

Kind of how the situation is now with 10.4 and 10.3 :P

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#3]
cool, thanks.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#4]
Apple will support Tiger until 10.6, the successor of Leopard, will be shipped. It has always been there policy to support at least the last two operating systems. But of course, a few months after Leopard has shipped, the first compatibility issues with Tiger will arise or the one or the other -NEW- app will not support older systems.

Anyway. I am in the same situation with two of my four Macs, and I am still not sure if I should get Tiger licenses for them. My stomach feeling tells me that Leopard could be a very resource hungry beast, and that my older Macs could be too weak for it. They do well with Panther and Tiger, and they do great with Linux. So maybe I will give them Tiger and use it until Apple officialy drops the support in two years.

As for your Mini, I'd say upgrade to Tiger now and then wait until Leopard is out and make sure that it will make sense on your hardware before you upgrade again. Tigers runs great on a PowerPC Mini, but as for Leopard, we don't know that, yet.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#5]
I wondered about the resources issue. Hmm I'll have think this over. Maybe I'll get tiger now and then buy another more powerful mac when Leopard comes out. Thanks.