IDE options on OS X

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/IDE options on OS X

ozak(Posted 2006) [#1]
What are my options on OS X if I want syntax highlighting and code folding in BlitzMax?

Thanks in advance

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#2]
Er... When you use the standard MaxIDE, the options should be the same as in Windows, if that answers the question. The IDE options are in "IDE Options" in your file menu. And for the compiler you can find the features in the "Program" menu. And that goes for MacOS, Windows and Linux. Those IDEs are (as far as the respective OS allows it) exactly the same.

RiK(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think what ozak is getting at is to ask what alternative IDEs are available if one wants those features that are not available in the default IDE.

ragtag(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have no idea how these work with BlitzMax, as I've only done one small game in Max and just used the default IDE, but TextWrangler or BBedit might be worth checking out. There is also jEdit, which is Java based and available on many platforms. Don't know how hard it would be to adapt any of these to Blitz.

Lately I've been using emacs for php coding on my iBook, and kind of come to like it. A coder guy I worked with used it for everything, and was extremely fast with it as you never need to touch the mouse or move your hands away from the standard touch typing position.

Ragnar

z80jim(Posted 2006) [#5]
As for alternative to the IDE I have been using the community IDE.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/blitzmax-ide/

It is split from the Blitzmax IDE and adds certain features. It is better.

Jim

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#6]
emacs? Rather use vi :-)

I think Noel may have added Max stuff (colouring, and perhaps the ability to compile etc) for jEdit... although I may have dreamt that...

And if someone had put that eclipse max plugin on sourceforge or somewhere by now, we'd probably have that too...

Other than that, the community IDE might be worth a look. Once it has the new code lexer working it'll be a fair bit better than the standard one.

:-)

ragtag(Posted 2006) [#7]
http://community.jedit.org/?q=taxonomy/page/or/21

You didn't dream it.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2006) [#8]
What does a code lexer entail? What I'd love in the community ide is automatic autocomplete that is scope-aware.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#9]
We are working on a new version of the CE IDE with new code lexer / parser that should allow for much more powerful features, and be more efficient than the current one. It'll take a while to get there, but once the new code structure is in place, it should enable a lot more functionality improvements.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#10]
The OSX standard IDE lets you hilight certain things, except if I remember correctly it doesn't let you set a color for constants (numbers, strings) .... but the community IDE does. I only say this because I noticed when I switched to the community IDE, the numbers turned green which was unfamiliar.

There is no function folding. In the community IDE there is a nicer code panel which shows folded hierarchy of types, functions, method, etc