Linux on the Mac

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Linux on the Mac

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#1]
Does anyone have some form of Linux running on a PPC Mac computer, and if so, are you able to compile Linux BlitzMax applications on it? Or..... can BlitzMax only compile Intel-compatible Linux apps?

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#2]
All I know is that Ubuntu has a Linux version for Mac, and as far as I know, developped for PPC Macs. I did never try this out though. Not even with the "Live" CD.

(I really did not plan to buy a Mac for Linux, y'see)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
I didnt plan on it either, OSX rocks, but I just wondered if I could create Linux Max binaries from it.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#4]
The Linux version of BlitzMax is x86 only.

As for Linux: Ubuntu Linux runs very nicely on PPC Macs. I do not know how good SuSE Linux and Yellow Dog Linux in real life are, because I only tried Ubuntu Linux, but rumor has it that Yellow Dog Linux has the best hardware support for PPC Macs.

Retro(Posted 2006) [#5]
I run Yellow Dog Linux (PPC) dual-boot with OS X on my 12" PowerBook. I also run MOL (Mac-On-Linux) from YDL, which allows me to run OS X apps directly from Linux at near native speed.

For x86, I use the Virtual PC 7 emulator. The only x86 Linux I've been able to get running ok under VPC 7 is OpenSUSE 10. Yeah, it would be great if BRL released a PPC BMax, but fat chance now that Apple have switched to Intel. I'll probably eventually upgrade when Apple release a 12" MacBook Pro.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#6]
Since Linux runs on a lot of CPU's, it's be consistent to have it compile binaries for those CPU's, rather than just X86. Oh well.

Loonie(Posted 2006) [#7]
there's also fedora on ppc

Retro(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeah, Yellow Dog is actually based on Fedora.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#9]
Agent Smith. Does BlitzMax run under OpenSUSE 10 with VPC7?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'll probably eventually upgrade when Apple release a 12" MacBook Pro.

They won't be. As far as Apple are concerned, the 13.3" MacBook, 15 and 17" MacBook Pros are the complete line up. No more 12"...

Since Apple's move to Intel there'll be a lot less PPC-based machines around to run linux on, so it may not be worthwhile to go to the effort of making a linux ppc Max... unfortunately.

Of course... Cell would be a different matter entirely :-)

Retro(Posted 2006) [#11]
Agent Smith. Does BlitzMax run under OpenSUSE 10 with VPC7?

Yes, provided you first set up symbolic links for GCC and G++, as described by Ricardo_C (see the thread under the Linux Installation Guides for PCLinuxOS).

Loonie(Posted 2006) [#12]
Fedora also has a PPC version...

:)

Garrett(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ubuntu PPC and OS X play very nice under a dual boot on a Mac Mini PPC.

(If because I said that, you attempt to do so, do not hold me liable for your
lost of data because you forgot to backup your stuff! Setting up a dual boot
on your Mac is not an easy task!)

BlitzMax for linux will not run on Linux PPC. But! It might be possible to
convert a OS X made BlitzMax app to PPC Linux. I have not done this yet, and
it may never work, but the thought has crossed my mind and I had plans of
giving a whirl to see if I could figure it out. Basically OS X is running ontop
of a Unix installation (Darwin) anyway, and the Windowing is I believe being
run in place of X-11. If BlitzMax is capable of creating terminal only apps, then
one might be able to run that app on any Unix/Linux PPC variant.

PPC linux systems are quite rare and it's numbers are dwindling each year. It's
basically on it's way out. Mac was one of the biggest PPC supporters, and now
that it's made the move to Intel chips, the PPC market will even further decline
to a point that only specialized equipment will likely be using PPC.

-Garrett

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#14]
The Linux version of BlitzMax is x86 only.

This means that it'll work on the new Macs, but the old ones, well, guess you really can't expect a neapolitan setup on your Mac just to run BMax on all three OSes (Windows, Mac OS X, AND Linux).

Winni(Posted 2006) [#15]
On the Intel Macs, you actuall can run all systems natively, from FreeBSD over Linux to Windows and OS X. There are some catches with the boot loaders, but several magazines have already published articles about it.

On the PPC Macs... Well. Ubuntu does a great job on them, and it is good to know that there will be a free operating system available the day that Apple no longer supports OS X on the old machines.