intel mac advice

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/intel mac advice

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#1]
Will gcc (or whatever free C compiler macos can use) produce intel accelerated code (ie not power pc code running uder emulation) as it stands now.
(at least I could be learning macOS from a C perspective while I wait for a working version of max)

Can people tell me of their experiences running the current max version on intel powerpc emulation (?rossetta? thingie)

how does the speed of the duo mini compare with say a 3ghz Celeron (ie single core, no hyper threading etc)

why does it look so sexy!?

Red(Posted 2006) [#2]
Does It contain the same SDK ?
COuld I compile a app for powerpc mac with this new SDK ?

Winni(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi,

BlitzMax on the Intel Mac produces Intel-Code -ONLY-. Some of the tools are still PowerPC software that runs under Rosetta, while some come with the source code and can (and should) be recompiled to native Intel Code.

For XCode and other developer tools from Apple and the GCC they ship with Mac OS X: Everything comes as universal binary and creates universal binaries, so Rosetta is not needed to run the executables, neither is it needed to run the development tools.

I do not have a Mini Core Duo, but I would expect it to blow any 3GHz Celeron to pieces. At least this is what my 2GHz iMac Core Duo does with most other Intel machines out there. And G5 PowerMacs, for that matter. ;-)

For the perverted out there, somebody even developed a hack that allows you to install Windows XP on the Intel Macs. Check out www.winxponmac.com for more info.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#4]
For the perverted out there, somebody even developed a hack that allows you to install Windows XP on the Intel Macs. Check out www.winxponmac.com for more info.

Of course, that's just the first step -- the issue they are now facing is that there is pretty much zero driver support, so you don't have any hardware 3D acceleration on your generic PC 'mac', and can forget about running games.