BMax spins on launch

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/BMax spins on launch

Dave Mac(Posted 2006) [#1]
The BlitzMax demo worked fine on my iBook (OS X 10.4), but the downloaded full version 1.14 just spins on launch. The app was installed under my Admin user, though I don't use that account for daily use. (BMax wouldn't install from my user account at all.) I'm launching BMax from my regular user account. Is there a file permission issue perhaps? I haven't run into this kind of thing before.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#2]
what permissions do you have on MaxIde ?

Dave Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
owned by my admin user (that's who installed it)
permissions are 755 on the folders and app

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#4]
My working MaxIDE has drwxr-xr-x.I had a similar problem a while back and reformatting was the only solution I could come up with :(

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#5]
It may be trying to write stuff in the BlitzMax folder, in which case your permissions might well be screwing you.

One thing to try might be to change the permissions to be a wee bit more flexible.

Open up a terminal :
cd /Applications
sudo chmod -R 777 BlitzMax

"cd /Applications" - is assuming that this is where your BlitzMax folder is.
"BlitzMax" is the name of the BlitzMax folder. If it is something else, replace with the appropriate name.

It will ask for your admin password, then it will set all permissions in the BlitzMax folder (and all child files and folders) to full permissions - that is read, write, execute for all users.

See how you get on with that.

By default, the BlitzMax installer will attempt to install into the Applications folder. I can't remember offhand if the installer includes the option to install it somewhere else, in which case you could then install it in your user folder.
(I know that when making an installer you can set it so that you can allow the user to override the default install folder)

:o)

Dave Mac(Posted 2006) [#6]
chmodding to 777 got it working. Thanks Brucey. I think I'll try re-installing into my user dir though. I dislike having 777 stuff lying around :)