New iBook, some questions...

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/New iBook, some questions...

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#1]
OK, since starting programming in BlitzMax on the PC, it was always intended to purchase a Mac of some description so that I could port my current projects over and enter into another market. Well, that time has come and I'm now the proud owner of an iBook. Now as I make my games available to the general public as freeware or shareware, there are a couple of questions I have before I make them truly available and ready for that market. The questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone recommend an installer or package maker for the Mac? - I don't want nor expect the general public to know how to unpack zipped/archived files and copy them to their Applications folder. The installer maker can be freeware, shareware or commercial, as long as it is reasonably priced. I've heard mention of using DMG files, which can be created without my downloading anything, but I'm unfamiliar with them. How do I create them and do they automate the installation of software?

2. A means of changing the APP's icon from the BlitzMax one. - Basically looking for something similar to Resource Hacker and it would be handy if I could use .ICO files as well.

That should cover my immediate needs at this time. Any help from those in the know would be much appreciated.

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#2]
1. Apple provide their own packaging and installer apps for you to use. You can find a description of their usage >here<.

:o)

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Now, if I can only sort out the icon issue...

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#4]
Have a look at this previous post which talks about icons and icon tools

http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41222

There's also an app called Icon Composer in your Developer/Applications/Utilities folder, which might help.

Will(Posted 2005) [#5]
2) On the .app control click and choose "show package contents"

Look in there for the icon file, and replace it. Then, on the .app file again, go to file->get info, click on the icon and hit delete. All set :D

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks guys. I'll give that a whirl.