Security Package for Mac

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Security Package for Mac

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm looking for a good virusscanner/firewall for MacOS X

Even though people claim that Mac is completely safe from virusses and hackers, I don't have any illusions to take people on their word for it.
Since Apple's place on the market seems to grow, the system gets more interesting for these things.

The only (famous) one I found so far is Norton. My latest experiences with the Windows version of Norton are horrible. Two days after extending my account moaning for money to extend it again, for example. Blocking the entire system because it has to take half an hour for scanning a tiny (harmless) file, and the list continues on and on and on. I don't trust Norton anymore, since I've no illusions the MacOS X version will be any better.

So, what pack could you recommend me, aside from Norton?

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#2]
There is a built in firewall in system preferences>sharing>firewall, just turn it on.

Aside from that, i understand that Norton can actually do damage to your mac, so i cant recommend that. I occasionally scan my hard disk for virus/spyware ect using chamXav (i think thats what its called) which is an open source anti virus app, and it shows me all the windows viruses that arrive in spam mail messages.

I agree with you that macs aren't entirely safe from this sort of thing, but theres nothing nasty out there yet.

cheers
charlie

Todd(Posted 2005) [#3]
Norton will only cause you problems. I would stay away from it, even on Windows. If you really think you need virus protection, download ClamAV, the open-source anti virus software jkrankie mentioned. There are no viruses for Macs right now, but if you ever forward emails to Windows users, it's nice to scan for viruses to make sure you aren't passing anything on.

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#4]
ClamAV, thats what i meant.

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#5]
ClamXav is the MacGUI variant based on ClamAV. Anyway, thank you for the link.
And indeed, I mail a lot to Windows users, so if it isn't for my own protection then for others.

But I've no illusions the Mac will stay clear of virusses forever...